Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what I want to do to my truck.. Part of me likes the idea of it being stock while the other side would like more towing power. What I've read is that the first add-on should be the gauges.. Pyro, Boost and Tranny temp seem to be the main three. I haven't seen any trucks in person with the door column tripple gauge. Is that the place most people put them? Any other options out there? Thanks..

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I only have 2 gauges (pyro and boost) but I have them in a 'dual pillar pod' that works great (mounted on driver's pillar post).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i drilled a hole right under my tailgate button on my 99 burb for a boost gauge worked great it was easy to fish the tubing and power line to it and it fit perfect if your gonna do more than one gauge theres a few options check out banks i belive his gauges comes with a setup that can be mounted below the steering wheel but if you want to do it right id mount them on the pillar check out egauges.com cheapest gauges ive found so far and many options

·
Registered
740 Posts
3 gauge pillar, I like it and really easy to watch. EGT on top, boost in the middle, and trans temp on the bottom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I mounted mine exactly like 94blazer's in the same order and I could not be happier. People have drove my truck and never seen them they blend so well with the A-piller.

·
Registered
377 Posts
same three in same position as two above me. Went with autormeter ultralites all new off ebay including the pillar for just over $200 (each purchased seperately).

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I found a steering column solution that I am going to try out and see if it fits. The housing is brushed aluminum which really doesn't match the interior. We'll see.

·
Registered
200 Posts
where'd you find the steering column mounts? and for how many gauges?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I;ve been seeing some 3-4 gauge pods that mount in the winshield, kinda behind the rearview mirror. Mostly for the newer Dmax's, but I think I saw at least one company listing older GM...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you guys post pictures of your setup? Looking in from the drivers window, looking forward and looking in from the passenger window... If possible, take the looking forward picture from the back seat. Most pictures taken from the drivers view place things really close. I'm thinking they will be glaring in my eyes at night. I know I can set them up to the dim switch but want to know if you have to dim them.. I'm not totally against the pillar mount.. just not really sold on it yet.
Thanks..

·
Registered
200 Posts
I;ve been seeing some 3-4 gauge pods that mount in the winshield, kinda behind the rearview mirror. Mostly for the newer Dmax's, but I think I saw at least one company listing older GM...
that's what I was looking for, but could not find. :(

·
Registered
634 Posts
Like Steve, I would like to install some gauges in my truck, but not on the pillars. I was thinking somewhere near the climate controls.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Pete..:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
with very little creativity required, this triple pod will mount about perfectly between the driver and passenger heater vent outlets near the floor. Mount it upside down. Some small screws into the heater box should do it just fine.

oh, and it's not real carbon fiber. I'm gonna scuff it up and paint it. Its' getting a fuel level, oil (fuel) temp, and vacuum gauge for my vege oil conversion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All righty, more creativity required than W2ARZ's suggestion:
These don't say pre-00 chevy, but...
http://www.kensperformancesolutions.com/
and
http://www.dieselmanor.com/pillars_pods/gauge_mounts.asp

Now we have some Dmax's at work and my 6.5 sub winshield slant doesn't look that different.....
maybe a small shim or something between the pod and the winshield?
have a bracket or something attached under the headliner, and it sticks out to mate to the pod?
It just comes down to how handy you are and how bad you want it....
I make no claim to how they might work 'cause due to limited funds, other priorities have kept from investigating.
Maybe call them up and get a few styles shipped at once for checking, and then return them?

Someone also suggested elsewhere using a "Shelf-it" and attaching to that, and in the same vein, get one of those 4 piece rearview mirrors that mount to the sunvisor backets and go across the whole cab....
Sir Veyor

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Here is what I found:
Gauge Pod

Since I am not a fan of the pillar mount I wanted something a little different. I talked with their tech support rep and they test fit it on a GM column and they said it cleared the hazard switch.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Here is a couple of pics of my install. Hope these will help you decide if you want to go with pillar or down below. Doesn't matter where you mount them just as long as you have them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Here is a couple of pics of my install. Hope these will help you decide if you want to go with pillar or down below. Doesn't matter where you mount them just as long as you have them.
Dang, You are prompt when someone requests pics;) .
Looks good. I will attach my pic from my garage of my dual pod and hope to have the triple in this weekend with the tranny temp installed as well.

Mark

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the pictures..

Maybe I could get some help in deciding what to do. I'll be towing a boat 6k to 7K in a couple months. I'm picking it up in FL and towing to CT. When using it I have to travel about 1 to 1.5 hrs to the launch. I just replaced the tranny on my truck after 150K miles. Now I'm thinking I just want to get a tranny gauge so as not to toast the new tranny.. especially on the long ride back up from FL.. So I mainly want to know what's going on while towing which is really only a few times a month. I don't know how my truck is going to like pulling this boat up and down the hills of CT.. More power is always a good thing however I don't know how to adjust fuel flow or increase boost so I don't know if I'll ever do that on my own.
Have many of you gone down this same path? Is it worth getting a single mounting cup for just the tranny gauge or will I be tossing it in a few months for a tripple? Single can go low on the dash between the driver and co pilot seat so it's out of the way. I can mount the sending unit in the already existing port on the tranny where as the pyro and boost need to be welded in? I don't know a welder that would do this either.. Thoughts?

While I think the pillar mounts above look great, without making engine mods I'm not sure I need all that..

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was really suprized at how cool my trans. actually runs. I was pulling 7000 lbs. up 6% grades fore about 40 miles. My trans. only got to 220 and it was close to 100 degrees outside.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts