Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The written directions from Western Diesel (where I obtained gauges) indicate that the hot wire for the illumination bulb should go to the fuse labeled "ILLUM". This fuse is for the dimmer switch that illuminates the instrument panel. There may be such a fuse for the '03 and earlier models of the Duramax, but no such labeling appears in the fuse box for the '04. When I queried Western Diesel about this, they directed me to the local dealer. I detest dealing with them. Can you help me out?

·
Registered
772 Posts
The '01s and '02s have the ILLUM fuse in the panel at the left end of the dash, but the '03s and evidently the '04s don't. I called Nick, my one-stop source for all knowledge of our trucks. He indicated that the brown and white wire attached directly to the dash light dimmer wheel was a hot wire for our purposes. It's a tiny little wire and I haven't tapped into it, yet. In the mean time, if you don't mind constant light (it's not too bad) you can use a fuse tap (also Nick's suggestion) to one of the switched fuses in the panel and it will work fine.

TC

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For the dash/dimmer lead:

According to my GM computer service manual, you could access a dimming wire on the back of the headlight switch.
Pin # is 14.
Wire color is BRN/WHT
Circut # is 230
Function is Instrument Panel Lamps Dimming Control

Looking at the face of the plug that goes into the headlight switch, with the lock catch at the top, it would be the bottom right wire.

For the power lead I believe I tapped into the IGN 1 fuse. Would have to look again to make sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a great site!! Ask and you will receive. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts