Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my truck truck the other day started it and i noticed that the oil pressure gauge moves but it goes form 80psi up and doesn't drop below that mark. Have any of you had a similar problem or know what could be the cause?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Gauges are really bad in these trucks. My voltmeter stated acting crazy last winter. Showed about 5 volts then go to 18 volts and stay there. Then back down to 5 volts. Thought it was my alterator and pulled it. Checked out OK at local parts store. Bought a cheapy voltmeter and istalled it under the dash. Works better than the stock meter ever did. GM will only repair the whole dash cluster, not just the gauges that don't work. Think about buying a separate oil pressure gauge or a performance unit that will monitor oil pressure. John

·
Registered
449 Posts
Had similar issue on mine as well
Dealer, unplugged harness's > ECM> sending unit> etc, found moisture and replugged
problem has not returned

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah after the holidays I was going to ask the dealer if it could be warrantied. Probably not they'll prob tell me it was voided because I put my company logo on the side. :D Is there any after market gauge clusters out there for the truck? Also does anybody know if this gauge cluster is used in any other truck for another reference for an after market gauge cluster?

·
Premium Member
18,120 Posts
Yeah after the holidays I was going to ask the dealer if it could be warrantied. Probably not they'll prob tell me it was voided because I put my company logo on the side. :D Is there any after market gauge clusters out there for the truck? Also does anybody know if this gauge cluster is used in any other truck for another reference for an after market gauge cluster?
IIRC, the cluster internals are the same as '03 -up pickups, ie.. the stepper motor is going bad. There is a DIY writeup on it.

If you are in-warranty, the stealer will fix it. It's simple to diagnose. At power up, ALL needles should full sweep and then stop at their appropriate setting.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC, the cluster internals are the same as '03 -up pickups, ie.. the stepper motor is going bad. There is a DIY writeup on it.

Do you mean half-ton pickups because my 03 3500 isn't anything like the one in the 5500. Its really different compared to it. Still havn't had time to get it in to see if I'm covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
18,120 Posts

Do you mean half-ton pickups because my 03 3500 isn't anything like the one in the 5500. Its really different compared to it. Still havn't had time to get it in to see if I'm covered under warranty.
It has a different look to it, but it's made by the same vendor and uses the same protocol for databus, and, most importantly, the same stepper motors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got back from a trip Va. the speed o work properly for 1 hour then went from 65 mph to 110 @2000 rpm .......oil pressure went for 0 to 80 then back to 0 , coming home speedo worked ........oil pressure didn't ..........all other gauges work as they should .

Do the 04 have a recall on the gauges

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's not covered under warranty. Just for reference your dealer should be able to get you a complete cluster for under $300.00. Don't hold me to this price because every dealer is different. There's a company that remans them for GM, they order by the vin and input the current vehicle mileage on the new one so you don't have to worry about DOT or resale problems with mileage not being correct.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but its just more money into this truck thats not under warranty. It only has 10k on it. Its just sad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah but its just more money into this truck thats not under warranty. It only has 10k on it. Its just sad.
That suck's that it's acting up already. Sorry.
I was just trying to give you an idea of what the cost's would be, so you would have a comparison which ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
812 Posts
DSL Power, You need to have a long sitdown with your dealer, these trucks have awesome warranties. 3YR/Unlimited miles bumper to bumper, Allison has 2YR/ Unlimited miles. Have them pull a build sheet/history of service and you will see the coverages and start mileage/date for all of them. Sad that your having all of the problems, but you should not have to bear the cost of repair other than lost time. Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the worst things is that I found a good tech at a local dealer but they don't service medium duty. They had been doing it anyways then I went in the other day to have them work on the transmission leak. When i went in they told me they could no longer work on it. There reason was they said that GM wouldn't pay them for the warranty work on th truck. When they fixed a couple electrical issues GM wouldn't pay them for work rendered either. That is just stupid in my mind. They told me that they would still work on any non warranty things in the future just not warranty. Yeah it just suck now for all this warranty work the nearest medium dealer is an hour away from my house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts