Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

I left my truck in the care of a friend while I was away for six months. When I returned he told me that my gauge cluster had been glitching. He never really drove it, just started it up and moved it around. At complete random the cluster shuts completely down (not affecting how the truck runs) and turns back on like I had just got in the truck and turned the key. I've tried to narrow it down to a certain speed or bumps, etc. but it is completely at random.
Sometimes it will do it in park with the truck idleing, sometimes goin 70mph on the highway, hitting bumps/potholes does not make it happen.

Last weekend I tore the dash apart trying to find a short or a loose plug, took the cluster completely out and found nothing.

I've searched forum after forum and no one else seems to have the exact problem, everyone else's problems seem to occur from bumps which would be a loose wire/connection/bad solder.

Could it possibly be the cluster itself, if so how could I test that before spending hundreds of dollars on a new one just to find out it isn't that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine didn't completely shut down, so it may not be the same solution. I pulled the cluster and reseated the wiring harness several times. I forgot of that was 1.5 or 2.5 years ago. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The solder connections on the circuit board crack. Take the gauge cluster all apart, brush off the anti corrosion coating, and remelt the solder. Will be fixed. Lots of electronic stuff on these trucks are like this. Due to the ROHS low lead solder they have to use. Thanks greenies. Really saving the world when you just have to throw stuff away and replace.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't have to spend hundreds on a new one. Plenty of places rebuild them. I had mine rebuilt by automotive scientific. My oil gauge was all over the place. Common issue with these and the stepper motors. Rebuild is cheap. Send it to them. They fix it and they send in back all tested ready to go.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. Randomly flashed off and back on as if I just got back in the truck and started up. Went out today and now cluster is dead. Back lighting is all that is working. No time tonight. I'll dive into it tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.