Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, great community here. I just signed up but have been reading for a while.

I am the happy owner of a 1987 2x4 6.2 diesel Suburban with 300k Km that i just love :D . This thing is great and i use it to go camping on the weekend and tow my boat and often gives me over 30mpg.

Unfortunately, my transmission, a 4 speed 700r4, decided it was time to die. It started to miss-shift and makes a grinding noise in first and 4th gear when it gets there. I took the pan off and there were metal shavings everywhere :mad: . I decided to clean it up, replace the filter and fluid. This helped a bit but look like its time for another trans.

I am poor :( and Diesel transmissions over here are a rare sighting. I got offered a freshly rebuilt with a mild performance kit 700r4 off a gas truck. But i was told that Gas and Diesel transmissions are different. I am sure that there are some differences, probably the governor or something but can i make this work? Can i just transfer some pieces from my transmission on the new one?

Also, the torque converter...can i use the Gas one? If not, can i get mine cleaned or something?

I know i will need to also clean the cooling lines and the reservoir inside de radiator, any tips on that?

I pretty good when it comes to car mechanics but not an expert by far. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks. :ro)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I can help on torque converter and cleaning.

The troque converter should be replaced as alut of that stuff has run through it and you cant really get them clean. If you can find a good priced opne go for it and if not then you may be safe using the old one. As for the line and cooling system cleaning , most auto parts store carry a compressed spray can that attches and blows a cleaner through and then you tip the can upside down and blow air through and it cleans everything

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply :)

For the converter that what i tought. The stall speed on a gas engine is probably to high for a diesel :S

I will definetly look into this can deal, but i do have a compressor so maybe just the cleaner would work.

Anybody else have an input ?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Gov. is different, valve body is different. Converter for diesel will be lower stall. You will also have to make sure if the rebuilt trans has computer control lock up as I believe yours is. Best way is to use original gov, valve body and plate ( make sure you have them cleaned ). Gas converter will work ok but not as good as diesel. Check electrical connecter on trans and make sure it matches your old one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so there are some differences...

In real world, what can i expect as symptoms if using a Gas transmission with a Gas torque. Like, will my shifts be higher or something ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not only will shifts will be high,it may not shift at all at full throttle.If you can afford it get your trans rebuilt.If you swap to a gasser trans,you really need the diesel calibration anyway,and have to dissasemble your trans and get the vb cleaned,use it and use the governor after cleaning.Also some 700r4s had aux valve bodys,they started around 86-87,you will need this stuff and to have it cleaned as well. If you get it rebuilt ,i would get the newer 13 vane front pump,your is a 7,and have a few other changes made.I used to build 700r4s ,its been at least 5 yrs since ive been in one,but i do know you probably blew a sprag from the metal you have in the pan.You will NEED to change the convertor,and a complete flush of the cooler lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts