Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a good running 6.2 that I’m contemplating putting into a former Big block c20, and had a couple questions for anyone that has done it. Other than throttle cable, brake booster, and putting glow plugs on a switch, and wiring up the coil wire to the inj pump, what issues will I run into? Any difference in The fuel tanks or selector valve from gas to diesel? Looks like the truck has a return line already that goes through the selector valve, so should be good to go that way... anything I’m missing?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Selector valve is the same, governor and vacuum modulator on the th400 is different, if you got a 465 you're set. I "think" the senders for the gauges are different from 6.2 to gas engine. Radiator is different. I'd totally do the swap though!

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got all the correct senders and radiator in the donor truck, it’s just a rust bucket that isn’t worth the work to fix, at least for me. Should have everything I need, just trying to get an idea of what it entails that I’m not thinking of. Trans is 700r4 from donor truck as well

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
309 Posts
Ya Fuel senders from gas to diesel are different, along with Diesel "Sock" and Fuel gauge, as well as Oil gauge (only diesels had 80psi), possibly temp too... Depending on YR of the eng also the Wiring harness block may be a different shape and 100% The interior harness on diesel are specific to certain years but that doesn't matter. 700r4 uses a TPS, th400 uses a VRV Value. IDK on Manuals. I would recommend using HYDRO BOOST or If that's what you meant.

I should mention the DIESEL Motor mounts are Specific also but that's mainly 1982-83, Otherwise BBC Work... The Motor Mounts Spacer Brackets (BOTTOM) you'll need. I don't think the Big block gassers had em. The engs sat LOWER than the 6.2s did. As well as the Heavy Duty (HD) 4 Core radiators. But not sure on Oil cooler inputs for the Rad. On the Block of the 6.2, It is 3/8" for early years. I am not sure again on newer 1985+ as i only mess with pre-1984.

6.2 Diesel Clam Shell Motor Mounts Spacer Brackets.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve got the diesel in a running and driving truck, but the truck is a rusty ***** with phantom wiring issues. Every time I take something apart to fix it, I find a another new bigger issue. I’m over the original truck, it’ll get parted out after I’m done with the swap. But it should have everything I need. New truck is a mint 90k mile roller that had a big block in it, loaded w factory options and everything works. I’ll take what I need off the old truck, just trying to figure out exactly what it entails.

with the fuel sending units, any reason the gas ones wouldn’t work? Fuel compatibility issues, or just missing the sock?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I’ve got the diesel in a running and driving truck, but the truck is a rusty * with phantom wiring issues. Every time I take something apart to fix it, I find a another new bigger issue. I’m over the original truck, it’ll get parted out after I’m done with the swap. But it should have everything I need. New truck is a mint 90k mile roller that had a big block in it, loaded w factory options and everything works. I’ll take what I need off the old truck, just trying to figure out exactly what it entails.

with the fuel sending units, any reason the gas ones wouldn’t work? Fuel compatibility issues, or just missing the sock?
Nice! That New roller sounds sweet. I love loaded optioned trucks as much as i do plain jane. On the sender, i assume just bcuz its Gas vs Diesel, and yeah probably compatibility issues. I would just do it right and then not have to fck with it later. I learned that the hard way always cutting corners.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
You can sit the 6.2 in without the spacers. Definitely how I ran mine all these years.

As for senders, the gas sender has a pressure relief built in for vapor, the diesel one doesnt. That's all done through the fuel cap. I will warn you you usually have to replace senders when you touch them. Every one I've touched over about 5 years old breaks something....

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can sit the 6.2 in without the spacers. Definitely how I ran mine all these years.

As for senders, the gas sender has a pressure relief built in for vapor, the diesel one doesnt. That's all done through the fuel cap. I will warn you you usually have to replace senders when you touch them. Every one I've touched over about 5 years old breaks something....
Ahhh yes! I didn't even think of that !!! Funny i just got a NOS Fuel cap. From an Exhausting 1 yr or so of looking on eBay. I forgot that only the diesel's had the Pressure relief built-in as you said.

I plan on rebuilding 2 of my Original 1982 Senders with the fuel Sensor still in tact & working. (on 1 at least?)

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Ahhh yes! I didn't even think of that !!! Funny i just got a NOS Fuel cap. From an Exhausting 1 yr or so of looking on eBay. I forgot that only the diesel's had the Pressure relief built-in as you said.

I plan on rebuilding 2 of my Original 1982 Senders with the fuel Sensor still in tact & working. (on 1 at least?)
For what it's worth, the senders available now are for 82-83 trucks, but fit all. They have the WIF stuff and the WIF drain. I had to cut mine off and weld it closed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For what it's worth, the senders available now are for 82-83 trucks, but fit all. They have the WIF stuff and the WIF drain. I had to cut mine off and weld it closed.
Do you have any web links to such available & Correct ones? I have a 20 Gal Single Tank. Prefer a known Brand and made in USA, Or at least a well-known aftermarket brand like Carter, or Anchor.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
You can find them all over under part number FG05K (left) FG05L (right). They have been decent for me. I've got about 3-5 years on one of them with no issues. Im fairly certain it is an 82-83 style sender due to the way it's setup. I reconfigure them as a 2 port for my stuff.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can find them all over under part number FG05K (left) FG05L (right). They have been decent for me. I've got about 3-5 years on one of them with no issues. Im fairly certain it is an 82-83 style sender due to the way it's setup. I reconfigure them as a 2 port for my stuff.
Oh it's a Spectra? Do you mount your Water in-fuel sensor on them or how does that work??? I have a NOS Sensor i will be putting on one. Does it have the correct Diesel Sock?
Thank you for sharing this.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Yup, Spectra sounds about right. Yup, WIF sensor mounts to the tab on it I believe. I do not know on the sock. Looks like it, but I spend the extra few bucks and get the proper ACDelco one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks and yep i'll probably do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts