Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't be the only person wondering about this BUT it really hit home with me. I picked up my 2500HD Duramax/Allison at the end of March. There was a station near my place here in Orange County CA that had diesel for $1.69/gal in March ... in less than a month it's over $2.30/gal.

LESS THAN A MONTH! The fuel in the underground tanks is still the same stuff as it was last month, so the price hike obviously isn't due to some increase in production costs, as those would be passed on to the consumer as they hit the stations (presumeably).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but during the refining process isn't diesel fuel a product achieved on the way to producing gasoline? Essentially, low grade gasoline? Why does it now cost significantly more than premium!? Today I noticed one station where the gap between the 3 grades of gasoline was around 5-7¢, while the price jumped over 10¢ from premium up to the price of diesel.

Something of a rant, but I'm wondering if anyone has any informed insight into what's going on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I paid $2.25/gal today in San Jose, CA. I couldn't believe diesel was the same price as 91 octane super unleaded.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I would never believe that diesel could or should be as much as premium.

And yes diesel is a by product from the process of making gasoline. at one time it was just junk that they had to dump, then diesel engines came along.

I have been paying 15-25 cents less then what regular gas cost. I like that! I am wondering where the truckers are, they nearly always raise stink when the price goes up, and then prices drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts