Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was just curious about what kind of gas mileage people are getting. I have about 700 miles on my truck and have been told that as the miles tack on the mileage gets better. My buddy has a F350 powerstroke and is getting around 600+ miles to a tank but he said he did not get that until he had around 20,000 miles on his truck. I probably won't get quite that good of mileage due to the tire size on my truck.(see discription below) but I thought I would ask. If anyone has a similarly set up truck I would be especially interested in your responses.

Thanks,

I love this truck.

Mike Miller

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gas Milage? How are you getting your Duramax to run off gas?

LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it did seem to be running a little ruff. I just figuered that that was normal.
Deisels are suppose to smoke right?

LOL

O.K. replace the word gas with fuel in the original post. Or better yet replace gas mileage with fuel economy.

Mike Miller

·
Registered
98 Posts
On a regular fill up with around town & country driving my "wifes" '03 2500 w/17000mi gets 14-15 mpg,my '02 3500 w/43000mi gets a solid 16.The 2500 gets around 9mpg towing my 12000lb 5th wheel,haven't towed with the 3500 yet.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've gotten an over-all average of 18.2 mpg in the 28 months that I've been driving my truck. I typically get 18-20 mpg empty in the warm months and 14-16 towing my 6x12x6 enclosed trailer. I've been getting 15-16 mpg empty the last couple of months on "winterized fuel"

·
Registered
245 Posts
On the highway with my 16ft carson toy hauler I get 10MPG.

Empty was 15MPG highway. I haven't been able to find out what around town is. To many trips on the highway.

2700miles on the truck w/285 tires.

cmc

·
Registered
369 Posts
heres my spreadsheet of all my fuel, very happy so far as i really have a heavy foot with the juice on the truck, much more than my '02 2500HD with a 6.0. So far the Dmax has beat the best MPG that my 6.0 had over 40k miles and i have never taken this truck on the highway unloaded. rolling average on my 6.0 was 11.8mpg, the dmax is over 15 and its not even broken in yet and its winter time, i expect my rolling average to be a touch over 16.5mpg by the end of next summer, better milegae and better power, got to love it! Both trucks are 4x4 ext cab and had the same 265's BFG's on them, milage adjusted for tire size on both.

BTW you can click on the picture to get the full size so all numbers are legible.

Edited by: gsxr1216

·
Registered
369 Posts
Baloo said:
Where can we find a speed sheet like that to keep track of Mileage!

My computer

i created it, i keep all my oil changes, tires, all the BS to do with the truck in this spread sheet so its all in one place should i need any info, or to prove any data on maintenance on the truck. I keep all the reciepts on filters etc and then the spreadsheet shows when the services were done.

I may be able to upload the file (17kb as shown) somehow to this site so anyone could download it if they wanted a copy of it for themselves (I'm not interested in e-mailing it to tons of people, to much of a PITA if you know what i mean), not sure exactly how to do that, maybe a mod could tell me how or where to post it if you guys are interested in it. Its really nothing special just a bunch of formulas. You guys are welcome to it though if interested. I still need to edit it one of these days to automatically add the 3% for my increased tire size, currently i multiply that out before i add it to the sheet....

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
You can also get a couple of similar sheets by clicking the SPREADS link in my signature.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I drive in Dallas traffic every day and I average around 16.5. I have 10,000 miles on my truck. It would probably be better if I could keep my foot off the floor when not in traffic

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't reallly noticed much of a difference in mileage from new to 14375mi.What i have noticed lately with winter fuel is drop in mi.The poorest iv'e ever gotton is 18.5 mostly town/rural driving and don't forget thats Canadian gallons(1/5 BIGGER)Best 25 mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had my '04 for only a month. Bone stock. 2,850 miles, 70% highway, 30% city, no towing. No additives, blended winter fuel. Best tank = 21.4, Worst tank = 19.0, Lifetime average mpg = 19.95.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the replies. The info will be very usefull. My uncle is a service writer for a gmc dealership and he told me that a guy brought his truck in because he was not getting the the kind of fuel economy that he felt he should be getting. He had owned diesels in the past and this truck was not getting even close to what his other trucks were getting. It turns out he was having injector problems. He had no other indication other than the mileage that his truck had a problem. So it is something to definately keep an eye on. I am averaging about 11.5 mpg with about 700 miles on the truck but I also have pretty large tires so I am sure that is having a significant effect on my mileage.

Thanks,

Mike Miller

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
04 2500 CC SB 700 MILES 2WD. I DRIVE WITH A (LIGHT FOOT) BUT WILL RUN WITH THE BEST OF THEM ON OPEN ROAD. 2 TANKS OF FUEL 1- 19, 2-19.5 COMBO DRIVING. MOTOR IS STILL VERY TIGHT I SUPPOSE IT WILL GET BETTER. JUST GREAT!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have 16k on my 03 extcab 4x4. Tires are still stock unfortunately.

I have been averaging around 14.8-16.6 in total. I do alot of in city traffic.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Almost all of my driving is city/urban. I get about 14-15 most of the time. 12 towing 10K. Least has been 9 and best has been 21.

Jess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts