Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 4x4 CC/SB. For about the first 24kmi I used the truck primarily for commuting from Louisiana to Montana. I also run a Predator at 65hp and MBRP cat back(until i get unlazy and get the turbo pipe on too):h).

Driving between 70 and 80, the truck usually got in the neighborhood of 16.5mpg and as low as 13.5mpg. I occasionally used FPPF fuel additive. In the last 2kmi, I've been using the truck for work in Texas, driving 65-75mph, and adding the FPPF every time. The mileage inched up to 18mpg and is now up to 20.5mpg on average!!!:ro)

Did the truck finally "break in"? Is a 5mph average speed change making that much difference? Is getting all the winter grade diesel out maing the difference? The FPPF?

I'm not sure what happened, but I'm totally stoked about it. I just can't see any one of those changes making that much of a difference. Anybody else's truck get a big mileage bump like this when they got a few miles on it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
check the terrain difference. I bet there was a few more hills up north. But I agree that it is probably a combination of all the things you mentioned

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
yep, I even set my Attitude to start beeping when I hit 72 so I could watch mileage.. unfortunately I had to change that because it was beeping all the time!!! LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's crazy. I hate going slow, but a $20-25% bump in mileage is worth it I guess.

·
Registered
114 Posts
it is a conspiracy by the government to get us to slow down!!!!:badidea:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More likely collusion between Chevy and big oil. Big oil helped Chevy with their legal difficulties so they would design a truck with aerodynamic properties that make the mileage go in the crapper over 70mph. In addition they paid extra for Chevy to put in massive torque just to tempt us. That's how it went down.

Oh crap! A black helicopter just flew over. Better get my armidillo helmet on quick.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I'll bet elevation may have something to do w/it too!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh crap! A black helicopter just flew over. Better get my armidillo helmet on quick.[/quote]

use tin foil, i heard it works on the show Trucks! and keeps you form buying banks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'd drop to 14.5 in KS and CO. I never really noticed much of a difference before in TX and LA vs MT and ND.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll bet elevation may have something to do w/it too!

:exactly: About 3% loss in HP for every 1000 ft. above sea level.

Slowing down can't hurt either :grd:

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are pushing something roughly the shape of a brick through the air. The faster you go the more drag you get. With my pure stock truck I average 18.3 overall, town and country evenly split. On the highway I travel at 70mph.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
speed has alot to do with it if i drive 60-65 i average 20-21 mph
at 75-80 average 18-19mpg its very noticable but its so so so
hard to driv ethat slow only way it happens is when the law drives
behind me):h .winter fuel makes a big drop in mpg also i took it twice
just for that.they told me winter fuel i drop about 2-3mpg on winter
fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts