Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m borrowing my grandpas 2004 GMC 2500 and like an idiot I wasn’t thinking and filled it with gas. I put 23 gallons of gas in it. I never cranked it, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned the key on to put it in neutral but I never cranked it. I pumped the tank empty but I’m not familiar enough with Diesels to know what I need to do next. Do I need to drain the fuel filters before cranking it? Please help!!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Since the engine was not started and fuse was pulled, if you have COMPLETELY drained the tank (How do you know that ALL of the gas was removed?), I'd fill it with diesel and drive easy for a while.

Our tanks are bigger than what the gauge says. My tank is about 32 gallons yet I've never put more that 26 gallons in the tank, the difference being a reserve that is used as a heat sump for the fuel returned by injectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I pumped the tank until it wouldn’t pull anything else out. Is there anything else I can do to make sure it’s completely empty?

·
Premium Member
17,995 Posts
Happened here quite a few times. I siphon drained the tank, filled with diesel, and sent them on their way. Every incident was after driving away from the fuel station.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I put 5 gallons of diesel in it and have a diesel station half a mile from me now. I will just go ahead and try to drive it there and fill the rest up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts