Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this is more of a rant than a question, but there is a question in here somewhere...(*Deep breath) Today I pulled up for some fuel while out of town on business, I won't name the fuel station, but I pull up to the pump (a multi one) right beside the DIESEL pump, get out, open my tank and then this old fella (gas attendant) cuts in and wants to pump my fuel, before I could say "Jack Robinson", he's in there like a dirty shirt pumping my tank... I'm standing there sniffing a strange smell
, then it dawns on me GAS fumes!!!
I yelled (knee/jerk response) at him "WHY ARE YOU PUTTING GAS IN MY DIESEL TRUCK????"
anyway, long story short, he apologised and siphoned out most of my tank (I only had 1/4 tank left and he only pumped in $3.45 before I caught him) and replaced it with Diesel ($12.00 worth), NOW... my question is: He said it won't hurt a diesel to put gas in it at a 4:1 ratio, IS THIS TRUE?

Thanks,

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Personally I would think 4:1 ratio is way to high but I am no expert. If this happend to me I would be draining the tank dry to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I would also drain the tank before starting just to be sure. If it already runs again and there's no loud knocking or something else than it's no problem. Mixing diesel with gas is something more people do when they still have "summer"diesel in their tank and its already freezing outside. This stops the diesel from gelling. I think 4:1 is just a bit overdone...

Daan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I think the facts got a little mixed up in my original post... I started out with only less than a quarter tank, he pumped in $3.45 of gasoline, sucked out two gerry cans of mixed fuel, then he put in $12.00 of Diesel.

Again thanks, what is a 'safe' mix ratio? Do people put isopropyl alcohol in Diesel like in your gas tank? Is there a "winter mix" or additive people use?

Thanks,

·
Registered
195 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't worry to much. It will burn a little hotter, with a higher octane from the gas, but you got most of it out, and filled up with the right stuff. Enjoy the tiny bit of extra power you'll get from this mixture and don't do it again
. Same thing happened to me a while back and the truck suffered no long term ill affects.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehehe, yeah, MORE POWER!! hehehe, ok, well it is running fine and we filled the ol' girl up with a tank full of "D". I swear, I love that truck

Later,

·
Registered
421 Posts
A friend of mine put Diesel in his gas truck. It didn't run to well. He put in a WHOLE TANK. When he figured out what he did he switch over to the other tank (duals) and stopped and filled that one up... with GAS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using gasoline in winter to keep fuel from gelling is mighty risky.

Use a good fuel conditioner, I prefer Lucas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This exact thing happened to me, got out told him diesel, headed inside to wait and pay. The counter attendant recognized my truck was diesel and noticed way too late that the pump jockey had just filled my tank with diesel. Luckily he hadnt started into the second tank, which was to be filled also. Manager filled my other tank with diesel for no charge and arranged to have my tank drained and steamed out to clean it, at the gm dealer the next day. He took the heat for the bill at gm. my understanding is if you can use a single digit fraction to describe the ratio of gas in with your diesel. Well that could result in catastrofic damages. The same amount of diesel in a tank of gas is no problem at all. Extra lubrication and some carbon burn. Have a good day, good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good for you! You must have raised a real stink, my guy just kinda grunted and didn't want to even drain the tank....

Later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts