Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... here's a topic that has probably been posted before, but how much gas is safe in a tank full of diesel in a 96 GMC 6.5L pickup? Obviously none is best; but a station attendant today started to fuel up my truck with gasoline.:eek: I saw it and ran over and shut the pump down at 4.7 litres, which is 1 imperial gallon, or 1.25 US gallons. I filled the tank to the top to dilute it as much as possible, which is 128L or 34 US gallons. That's a 33:1 ratio. Does anybody know if I should be worried?? The station owner told me that during the winter they have customers that intentionally add gasoline to their tank to improve starting, but he was bound to say anything just to save his sorry butt. I'm not too worried about detonation problems while running, more fuel pump components and possibly the glow plugs igniting the fumes and causing grief. Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
covered in FAQ look for gas in yer Diesel

·
Registered
271 Posts
Make him pay

With all the posting and warnings on these trucks I would go back and let the owner and attendant know that they will be held liable for any damages. No excuse for this. Might even go so far to ask to see training records for attendant as fuel can be considered hazardous materials and this requires training and documentation of training. Might change their attitude at the station a little. As far as the dilution: You could add some additives or even 2 cycle oil to tank for further precautions. Others on here I am sure will pipe up and help out.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
You'll be O.K. Just don't go pulling any 20,000 pound loads. Small amounts of gas won't hurt your engine or fuel system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh believe me. I wrote all the particulars on the back of the receipt as I was talking to the station manager about it.

Two years ago I got "diesel" from a pump in Northern Ontario... yellow handle and all on it; no mistake of grabbing the wrong pump handle. Apparently the truck driver that filled the ground tanks put gas into the diesel tanks. By the time I got off the highway I had two pistons cracked wide open.

That is why I am so worried this time.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
BTW welcome to the site you go by the same handle at another site IIRC, my other handle same site I think is my sig line. You will find some other familiar IDs here as well.

Once you get a moment use the welcome note link in my signature for info on how to update yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi TD

Yup.... I recognised you.

Ya, I should update my signature one day.... and thanks for the "welcome".

BTW, I am still trying to get the PMD depotted at work to see what the "H" is inside of them. I have tried 5 different de-potting chemicals so far.... nutt'n seems to work. That stuff is TOUGH. But, I have found that polysrtippa softens it enough to scrape it away. This could be a bit of an undertaking.

·
Registered
217 Posts
get some more diesel as you get down to 3/4 tank and do one more time just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You'll be fine. Top her off as much as possible and maybe throw some diesel conditioner because gas doesnt lubricate.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sounds like you live in a state where they think you're not capable of fueling yourself. nobody touches my truck. that little won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
740 Posts
bam_bam1ca,

You should be fine, just add some Power Service or lucas something like that to be safe.

sounds like you live in a state where they think you're not capable of fueling yourself. nobody touches my truck. that little won't hurt anything.
:exactly: Years back after my mother-n-law filled mt Blazer full of gas and ran it about 2 block and it stalled, I never let anyone fill it, unless I'm standing right next to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well.... I added about 6oz of 2 cycle oil to help with the lubrication issue, and all seems to be running fine for now. I'll just keep stopping at a station every hour or so of operating time and top up to be safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You'll be O.K. Just don't go pulling any 20,000 pound loads. Small amounts of gas won't hurt your engine or fuel system.
you will be fine.

I watch the attendants like a hawk. Especially when the handles are side by side.

"Regular" yes I am thanks for asking. fill the truck with diesel please.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I remember reading a VW Jetta (non-TDI) manual from about 1991. For winter use, it recommended up to 30% gas in the diesel. I've used it in tractors before, but have not for many years. I put about 10% gas in one once, partly out of desperation, with no problems. I don't think you need to worry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:) I love that "regular" joke.... I think that I'll keep that one in my back pocket for future use.

Sigh....99x out of 100 I pump the fuel myself, and the other times I look in my mirror to make sure I see the YELLOW handle being put into the side of the truck. As luck would have it, I was checking my own oil, and it wasn't until I looked up for a rag that I noticed the pump was incorrect. Boy, did I RUN quick to turn it off. The young kid felt really bad, so I think that he will remember my truck the next time he sees it. Oh well, it appears no harm done, and I'm going to be extra paranoid when filling up for a while so it shouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Get a big DIESEL sticker to put inside the fuel cap door, maybe they might put two and two together

·
Registered
691 Posts
Get a big DIESEL sticker to put inside the fuel cap door, maybe they might put two and two together
That implies that they take the time to read. You would think that they could figure it out from the engine noise. I've never had someone else fill my vehicles up before. This makes me want to keep it that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts