Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my '06 GMC with the optional sunroof package which included the Universal Home Remote transmitter for opening garage doors. There are 3 buttons on the overhead console that can each be programmed for separate doors. I programmed two of the three buttons for my two garage doors.

However, it seems to have a very limited range.

Using the handheld transmitter that came with the garage door opener, I can open my door from about 100 to 150 feet away. Using the truck's built in transmitter in this package, I almost have to kiss the door with my bumper before it'll open. If I'm more than 10' from the door it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Do any of y'all know if there are any antenna adjustments, antenna relocation, reprogramming, etc, that will facilitate a more realistic transmitter range? :confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with my wife's Tahoe. Works great, but lacks range.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
I cannot get mine to program?any suggestions would be cool-

·
Registered
395 Posts
The one in the wife's Tahoe works from about 150ft, but you need to hold the button down for a few seconds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, mine works from 150ft as well.

micheal, in the progamming section does your manual mention Canada?

My manual (truck not here or I'd give the page #) mentions Canadian models OR if you have difficulty programming the remote, to go to another page and follow those instructions after completing the first few steps.
Hope this helps.
Peter

·
Registered
500 Posts
You do have to hold the button for a full one to two seconds before releasing it. Hitting it quick or tap-n-go won't work. I can consistently open my garage door from 150ft (maybe a little more) with no problem. Just make sure you hold the button long enough.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is this option only available with sunroof?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
You can buy these units on ebay...all plug n play. Search for Homelink...they will show up under that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this option only available with sunroof?
Yes, it only comes with a sunroof on an '06 GMC. Don't know about Chevy or previous years.

I'm a Ford convert and the only things I know about GM I learned on here or by reading GM brochures. Great site!! :bow:

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
If you read what I said........you will see that it mentions Canada, OR are having difficulty etc etc. To me that says even a USA model IF you have difficulty.
Unclench...see the smilies next to my post...I was just having a little fun. Relax...unclench...it will all be fine!

Just say no to Posting while angry! ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I didn't want the over head console so I went a differnt route. I used the home link from a Buick Le sabre Sunvisor. 2 wires and a custom install in my cup holder. It works from down the block. :ro) Pics below! Also it cost me $35 to do it.......................:grd:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unclench...see the smilies next to my post...I was just having a little fun. Relax...unclench...it will all be fine!

Just say no to Posting while angry! ;)
Um.......my apologies if it came across snotty, that was not my intent.
Reading it now myself, I can see why it could be taken that way.
I wasn't sure if the Canadian and US manuals were the same.

Relaxed and unclenched ):h :D

Peter

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Um.......my apologies if it came across snotty, that was not my intent.
Reading it now myself, I can see why it could be taken that way.
I wasn't sure if the Canadian and US manuals were the same.

Relaxed and unclenched ):h :D

Peter
Accepted! I apologize if you thought I was being an azz as well!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had trouble with my wife's Tahoe too. The problem for me was our garage door opener has the rolling codes (changes the code each time the remote is used). Because of that, I had to do the programming like the garage door opener instructions recommend.

·
Banned
720 Posts
for the rolling codes do you hold down the trucks button untill it blinks and you mash the button on the garage opener and hold the truck button down again i bought this lbz and could not rember how i did the rolling code deal on my 06 lly i traded any help please

1 - 18 of 18 Posts