Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change the fluid in the front and rear diff's this weekend and was wondering what is involved? I haven't gone under there and checked things out yet and was curious whether there are drain plugs or if you have to pull the covers?:help:

Also, what's the deal with the gm "grape juice"? and do you have to use it or would you recommend something else? From what I could find, the front and rear takes 4 qts each...
Oh...the truck is an 02 DMax...4x4 crew cab 3/4HD.

Thanks....Scott:) :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its nota bad job to do your self ! There is drain plugs on front & rear, just pull um and let her drain. There is a thread some where that has pictures on where there located, the back is real easy too get to the front is on the driver`s side. I used a piece of tin foil to keep oil from running all on the skid plate up on the front. Dont know much about the grape juice, I put Mobil 1 75/90 in both front & rear. 4 qt. in rear & 2 qt. in front about $65.00 but it`s worth it. Hope this helps some
Dal

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Don't know which one to reply to, how about going back and deleting the extra post (you can do that as the one who started it).

Front takes a couple of quarts, rear takes 3.78 quarts if you fill to 1/2" below the fill (GM recommendation) just about 4 if you fill to the bottom of the hole.

Front diff has clearly visible fill and drain plugs on the left (driver's side) with nylon washers under the hex caps. rear diff has a 15mm fill plug on the rear of the "punkin" and there's a flush drain plug on the underside of the diff casting that has a square hole to accept a 3/8" ratchet. There's a magnet on the drain plug that will have silver metallic "paste" on it. GM sells the "grape juice" (actually manufactured by Texaco) for $28 a quart. Any synthetic gear lube with GL-5 specification is fine for the diff. Eaton G-80 locker does not require friction modifiers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...didn't know I posted twice...I will try and delete the second one.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I did my rear just a few weeks ago. I used Royal Purple as many people have done so and had no problems. It already has limited slip additive if you are concerned about that.

Easy job.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just make sure that if you use a synthetic like Mobil 1, you have a white cap on the front diff. If it has a black cap you'll have to replace it first. As for the G80, Mobil 1 75W90 is what I used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts