Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 G30 with a 6.2l. I just replaced the rearmost 4 injectors (2 on each side by removing the engine cowling inside the van. It looks like I can reach the next one on each side with only minor knuckle busting.

What is the best way to reach the front 4?

Would removing the front grill, radiator, alternator etc make it possible? I need to change my water pump and fuel pump anyways (they are of unknown vintage), and I could do all that too.

Hopefully some of you have struggled through this same process.

Cheers!

Justin

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,660 Posts
Welcome ! So i see you haven't been helped so I'll try. We don't have any members really left with vans except turbo van man and i think the turbo brothers might have one now so most of us aren't up to par on vans. I'd say if you find an easy way let us know:hehe: But really yes I don't think pulling the grille will help because condenser is right there. Knucklebusting job it sounds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an '83 G20 and have only temporarily changed the back 3 injectors on the passenger side. That side is easy. Rear 2 on the drivers side look fairly simple but the front two looked like knuckle busters.

When I had a v8 gas G20 long ago several spark plugs had to be done from the bottom and were a PITA. I assume some of the injectors will need to be done from below. Maybe someday I will find out first hand.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I got rid of my van for this very reason. Designed by sadists.

Can you get to them from below? Turbovanman I'm sure has the answer since he's fit all sort of stuff in there but he only pops in every once in a while.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if I can get there from below. However, my van doesn't have AC, so no condenser to contend with. I am going to pull the front grill and change the water pump, and I think I can reach it. I'll post pictures so the internet can know for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Remove the motor mount to drop the motor low enough to clear the dog house on that side to get at those injectors.
Or you can get at the front drivers side 2 from below.
OTC 5060 socket and a breaker bar.

Reactions: turbonator

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remove the motor mount to drop the motor low enough to clear the dog house on that side to get at those injectors.
Or you can get at the front drivers side 2 from below.
OTC 5060 socket and a breaker bar.
I have the Kent-Moore J-29873 injector socket. It has worked admirably for the 5 I have done already. Looks like it should work, picked it up for $30.

Will the motor mount trick work for both sides?

Thank you all, this forum really keeps me on the road with these more obscure configurations.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Did someone call? :hehe:

You can do them from the top and bottom, never dropped the engine so I guess that's an option. The key here is you need an in injector socket that you can drive with a wrench, I have a Snap On one.

Remove the alternator and with that socket, you can use a wrench to remove them, its not fun but can be done with time and patience.

I had to do them a few times when I started burning waste oils until I got the mixtures right. :banghead:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yes vans and injectors .... sadist design IMO ... good for paid mechanics to make money and back yardians to swear at ...

:coffee:

·
Registered
102 Posts
what the hell are you guys talking about?

I have a 93 van. Get a 7/8 wrench with the standard bend in the closed end. Disconnect and move the fuel lines, get under the van or squeeze your arm under the doghouse.

It sucks, but it's possible.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts

I have a 93 van. Get a 7/8 wrench with the standard bend in the closed end. Disconnect and move the fuel lines, get under the van or squeeze your arm under the doghouse.

Pretty sure that's what I said in some degree. :think:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pipe wrench and reg socket works too.

if your doing a water-pump with no ac it is simple enough with all of the acc off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I know this is old, but I just noticed it last week and got the last 2 injectors. We have the same g30 hi cube by the way, I'm working on a camper van conversion. Just rolled over 50k, so hopefully I get a few years out of it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is old, but I just noticed it last week and got the last 2 injectors. We have the same g30 hi cube by the way, I'm working on a camper van conversion. Just rolled over 50k, so hopefully I get a few years out of it!
:clap:

I love my van. Sadly my heads were cracked before 75k miles. The coolant passages were sludged. Don't know which came first, but I would have someone flush your coolant and check the water pump and thermo. Could help get more miles before you have to tear it down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 1991 hi cube. The fuel injector is over $1200 for new injector pump! Yikes did you repair or replace the pump?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I also have a 1991 hi cube. The fuel injector is over $1200 for new injector pump! Yikes did you repair or replace the pump?
You can usually get an injection pump used for a reasonable price. Can probably find someone to rebuild your injection pump for less than 1200.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts