Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need an opinion. My truck has the standard rear end. I knew it when I got it but there it was, just had to have it. I pull a 32 foot 5th wheel. Now I keep getting this nagging feeling that I need the G-80.Whats it take to change it over, materials, money? Is it worth it?

Thanks for our opinion

Kid

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if it's just R&R or do you have to have the gears set up?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I would say anytime you replace the carrier you need setup.

The good thing is our rear has threaded adjusters. If I know enough here.. I think all you need to do is adjust backlash and preload which is easy with threaded adjustment.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
As long as the same gears are used and the pinion stays in the only thing to set is back lash.

I'd check the old one in 5 or so different spots and set the new one to the same backlash ( as long as it is spec).

·
Registered
157 Posts
To answer yourn question about whether it's worth it, you need to tell us what you do with your truck. If it's a pavement queen, then absolutely not, you don't need it. If it sees the possibility of losing traction from one rear wheel where you might need posi, then sure, you might need it. But if that's the case, the G-80 (a Gov-lock if I'm not mistaken), would not be my first choice. Based on price and performance, if you're going to be spending your money to replace something back there for traction, go with a Detroit locker. Cheap because it doesn't replace the carrier, and does not require setting up the gears again because it just replaces the side gears in the stock carrier. The stock carrier in a 14 bolt is plenty strong. The Detroit should be very driveable in a vehicle as long as yours. They chatter and chirp the tires like crazy in a jeep, but the longer the WB gets, the more civilized they are.

I'm new here, but this is 4x4 talk, that's my thing. :) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks for all the great advice everyone. She is a pavement queen so I'll probably just live with the stock rear end.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Mjollnir, I already suggested the Dteroit before but they don't make one for our rearends.

So go stock (G-80) or don't go at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dmax Tim said:
Mjollnir, I already suggested the Dteroit before but they don't make one for our rearends.

So go stock (G-80) or don't go at all.
Ah, 11.5 inch ring gear, right? Forgot about that. Jeeps and sandrails are my game, mostly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts