Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the g-80 limited slip rear axle and I'm wondering how this thing is supossed to work. It seems to lock in sometimes but sometimes it doesn't. Stand on pedal on wet pavement and only one tire spins, but if you "power brake", it will light up both tires every time. Just curious if this is normal or is something slipping?

Kevin

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
bonz02 said:
I've got the g-80 limited slip rear axle and I'm wondering how this thing is supossed to work. It seems to lock in sometimes but sometimes it doesn't. Stand on pedal on wet pavement and only one tire spins, but if you "power brake", it will light up both tires every time. Just curious if this is normal or is something slipping?

Kevin

I believe that it has something to do with wheel speed. I notice whenever I stand on mine I get both wheels to bite good.

Maybe the wet roads are disguising both tires spinning ??

T
NY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kevin,Tony, I believe that what ya'll are describing is normal opperation. I may be wrong but most likely ya'llve got the GM Gov-lock diff like almost every GM pickup has had for 20 yrs. or so. Tony is correct about the speed sensing deal if this is the case. The gov lock has a flyweight that's supposed to mechanically lock the diff if one wheel loses traction, some work great some tend to grenade if it locks up under high speed. If you don't have yhe G-lock maybe you are over powering a clutch type limited slip if thats what you have.

I have not been into a G-80 but I'd like to know for sure. does any body know if it's a G-lock??? dmaxallitech???

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
it dont lock on the wet pavement so much as there is less load on the side gears. The load on the side gears is what applies the clutches. Over about 25mph, the weights should release the clutches returning to an open diff. On dry pavement, there is more load/torque being transmitted to turn the tires, hence it locks up. When you power brake it, you are releasing a large amount of load in a hurry, thus locking it. Everything sounds normal Kevin

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I was worried about nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts