Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did many of you know that to this day 1/16/06 that the 7.3 is the only diesel option for the ford trucks in South America, Austrailia, Africa, Europe etc..... And interestingly enough International exports the bare engines (7.3) to different manufacturers worldwide..... Interesting aint it?

Also, for the 02-03 owners of the 7.3. You may NOT have PMR's (powdered metal rods) as previously thought. Appears that during the last run of the US Ford 7.3, International ran short of the pmr's, and it didnt warrent the rendering of new ones to be made so, they just used what they had plenty of, Forged Rods!!! According to sources, if your truck has a build date of 08/02 or later, you have forged rods!

...hmmm...

Ya just never know about these auto mfg's.

I must also add that in regards to the rod issue I just posted, I personally have no proof whether or not there are forged rods in some 02 and 03's. But i am definitely gonna check any and every truck I can.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
The 3.9 Cummins was an option in the super duties in South America for awhile. And the PMR were used in most, but there was a run of 50,000 forged rods that were used from 01-03 when they ran out of PMR's. US emissions won't allow the 7.3L in the US market, but other countries that are treehugger free have no problems with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder if there is a easier way of checking rather than prying out the port window on the block.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Wonder if there is a easier way of checking rather than prying out the port window on the block.

Any Ideas?
Nope, there is no numbers on the block to signify which rods were used and NAVISTAR didn't keep track. They say it isn't that bad of a job to check them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts