Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find the fuse location for the hot wire in the trailer connection. 2004 and 2002. Anyone know ???

·
Registered
941 Posts
If the 04 is like my 03, then you need to pull the fake fuse out of the STUD 1 location and put in a 40amp fuse. Here is a pic:

Can't help with the 02, sorry....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My '04 is the same as the picture 4x4man posted. It had the dummy installed from the factory and the 40amp fuse was with the trailer plug and controller wiring harness that came from the factory.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Did the 03's come with any brake controller wiring?

If they did I need to go back and see my dealer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My 03 did not come with the brake controller harness or fuse. I took the harness from my 01 and switched the pins due to the wiring change. Luckily Napa had the fuse as my dealer did not, Napa part number is 782-1118 for the 40amp.

Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't that fuse used for the trailer brakes? Isn't that why it came with the brake wiring harness ? I have a battery in my enclosed trailer that runs the winch that raises and lowers the ramp tailgate door. The battery was maintaining its charge through the "always hot" wire in the pigtale. or so I thought. Now it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Duallyvette, the far left slot in the box is for the 40 amp on your 02. Later! Frank

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have an "04" w/ 2 batteries.
The pigtail has instructions on it that says with the dual battery option you leave the dummy fuse in its holder...It says that the 40 amp supplied fuse is not needed??
I have it all hooked up but I have not tried it as yet, Do I need the fuse or not???

Thanks, Two Dogs
I really like this little beast...

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Two Dogs said:
Hey Guys,

I have an "04" w/ 2 batteries.
The pigtail has instructions on it that says with the dual battery option you leave the dummy fuse in its holder...It says that the 40 amp supplied fuse is not needed??
I have it all hooked up but I have not tried it as yet, Do I need the fuse or not???

Thanks, Two Dogs
I really like this little beast...

Yes you need the fuse. Those instructions are only for gassers with dual batteries.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I can't remember exactly what the tag on the pigtail said, but the dual battery thing refers to gassers which have the second battery option. That second battery is isolated from the first while the ignition is turned off and is for feeding a camper or trailer without draining the first battery. There is also an isolator installed that allows the second battery to be charged while the truck is running.

Two batteries are standard on the Dmax because they are required for starting. So the electrical system mods for the second battery option on the gassers are not installed on your truck.

So, while I didn't put a test light or meter on the plug on my truck before I installed the fuse, I think you'll find that it's required.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Max & ZEEB,

I'll put the fuse in.

Two Dogs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts