Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back off a trip we made to kentucky. Coming down a hill we got up to 88 mph and the engine started making a load clicking noise, soon as i backed off just 1 mph it stopped. my wife suggested maybe it was the ac comp. kicking on, so i turned it off and it still did it. I have only reached this speed twice since the the truck was new and it did it both times, at first i thought it might be the speed limiter but everyone says it only does that at 95 mph. Any thoughts as to whats doing this?

·
Registered
363 Posts
You probably hit the point where the pilot injections turns off. When that happens, you will hear the regular diesel clatter. You can do a search on pilot injection and see if that applies to what happened to you.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sometimes mine does the same thing around 85 MPH. I've found that if I clean my air filter when it starts "surging" it seems to make it less noticable. It may just be my imagination but it seems to help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my search for pilot injection turned up nothing. what is pilot injection? is my truck suppose to do this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the education. thats what it is, pilot injection shut down. so if i powered on into it instead of backing off, my engine wont bow up or somthing will it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts