Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the fuel tanks on the diesel trucks (chevy or gmc) plastic or steel from the factory?

Seems like when I worked there they were plastic but can't remember.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
My 26 gallon OEM in the shortbox is plastic for sure! I can't speak for the longbox versions but would be willing to bet they are also plastic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 95 is steel. Or are you just talking about the newer trucks?Edited by: BeccaRaptor

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Guys were saying that the LB trucks have 34 Gallon tanks.

My 04 LB has a 36 gallon tank. Eric, did they make a bigger tank or just change the number in the book?

·
Registered
396 Posts
do all long beds get the 36 gallon tank? Or is it an option???

·
Registered
316 Posts
This might be a good time for followup on my old gas tank post. The new tanks are all plastic. The small ones are about 26 gallons and the larger ones are about 34 gallons.

I spent the time to measure the tanks in the 3500HD vs the 2500HD. Sad to say they are the same. The extra capacity in the 3500HD comes from the second tank that goes where the spare tire would normally go.

Looking at the long bed trucks, it appears possible to remove the exhaust and mount a 26 gallon tank backwards next to a 34 gallon tank, for a combination of about 60 gallons. Use the stock 3500HD dual tank hardware to integrate the tanks. Since removed 26 gallon tanks are pretty cheap on Ebay, I might just try it. The big problem will then be what to do with the exhaust! Is there an outside-the-frame exhaust setup out there? Not an easy problem to address due to the cat and the deep frame on these trucks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
OK,

Brand new GMC '04 DMAX CC 1 TON...dealer filled tank on delivery, so no idea on how much they actually filled.Went to fill up after my DIC said low fuel and 26 miles left. Figured on filling to at least 34 gallons with my long bed. 29 gallons and was comming out the top... So does my 04 have a smaller tank????I have a spare tire...Did I loose out on fuel capacity??? My '02 cc sb dmax was a 26 gallon tank....I was looking forward to less fill-ups.

·
Registered
747 Posts
According to my owner's manual, the LB trucks have a 36 gallon fuel tank. KTDURAMAX, I would guess that your DIC is a little short.
Or should I say "reading is a little off".
Sorry, I couldn't help myself on that one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So why is the tank so small? The short box Dodge (which is shorter than our box) has a 34 gallon, and the Ford shorty has a 29. Why is ours so dang small?

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I have a short bed 04, would I be able to ditch the spare since I run bigger tires anyway, and use a 1 ton aux tank? How would I go about this if possible?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts