Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where this goes so someone can move it if there is a better place but I have always heard that shortbed d-max's have 26 gallon tanks but that cant be right...mine has to be around 28ish. I filled up tonite and the low fuel light wasn't even on and my range was around 50 and i pumped 26.4 gallons. And on my last tank my range was around 150 and sitting between 1/4 and 1/2 tank and still pumped 20.5 gallons.Whats going on here...if my guage is right my tank has to be around 28-29 gallons doesn't it?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Yup,26 gallon tank on shortbed.I swear I put about 28 gallons one time.The gauge is a P.O.S....Mine sucks too.Not accurate at all.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
gmc-dmax06;1535957; said:
I'm not sure where this goes so someone can move it if there is a better place but I have always heard that shortbed d-max's have 26 gallon tanks but that cant be right...mine has to be around 28ish. I filled up tonite and the low fuel light wasn't even on and my range was around 50 and i pumped 26.4 gallons. And on my last tank my range was around 150 and sitting between 1/4 and 1/2 tank and still pumped 20.5 gallons.Whats going on here...if my guage is right my tank has to be around 28-29 gallons doesn't it?
If that only happened once in a while, I would be suspicious about the pump dispensing the fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
gmc-dmax06;1535957; said:
My truck runs out of fuel at "Range: 35 Miles", so be careful how you take the DIC readings. Keep in mind you've also got all the volume of the fill tube, when I fill that up to where I can see the diesel in the neck, I've gotten ALMOST 27 in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
cripes, dont trust them damn gauges, i fill at 1/4 tank regardless and i stress my employees to do the same. for instance last summer i towed a guy back to the shop because he ran out of fuel, low fuel light was not even on yet.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Always use the guage and the odometer. I know at 650-700 miles I need to look for fuel

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Problemchild,

You are getting 26-27 miles pergallon at a 26 gallon tank, and you are not looking for a fuel station until you see those miles? That would put you at about 28 MPG or better, unless you have one of those bigger tanks, So what is your secrect? A bigger tank than the 26 gallon? or do you have the secret everyone wants?

·
Registered
535 Posts
The long bed has a larger tank. I'll get a bit over 30 gallons in it when I'm close to empty. The "Low Fuel" warning light has only come on once, and I have never put more than 32 gallons of fuel in it on one fill.

At ~17 MPG city driving, I start sweating bullets at anything close to 500 miles on the tank.

My bet is that ProbChild has an aftermarket tank in his truck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Longbeds are something like 34, but I don't know how much of that is useable.

Most of the 26 is usable as it seems many of us have put a bit more than that in on various occasions.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
66flh;1535960; said:
Yup,26 gallon tank on shortbed.I swear I put about 28 gallons one time.The gauge is a P.O.S....Mine sucks too.Not accurate at all.
my gauge is extremely accurate--when it says empty, it means empty:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine has a 34.5 according to the manual and the sticker on the tank when it was new. Has 35.9 usable, though. I have run it really low, then filled it up. Yes, I really did get 35.9 in it without filling it to the top of the fill tube.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The other night, the truck didn't start like normal. I knew from experience it was low on fuel. The gauge showed a little over 1/4 tank. I idled over to the nearest station to get some fuel. The idle rpm was surging a bit as I put fuel in. I put over 27 gallons in. Time to get the gauge & sender looked at.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just thought it was crazy that I was pumping more than my tank would suposedly hold will whatever range it was 45-55 or so.My last truck(1500 z71) had a 24 gallon tank and i could run it on low fuel for 25-30 miles and still only pump 22-23 gallon. I guess I will just have to adjust to this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Larryroak;1538708; said:
http://www.transferflow.com/
This will fix all of the above, except the pocket book:eek::
I finally put in the 50 gal in bed and do not worry much about fuel anymore.:D

Larry
A larger or additional tank would be great, but the prices they want are crazy. Having a smallish tank is not the best since we live in a very rural area where diesel is not available close by, and the best and lowest price fuel is 17 miles away. I will definitely go for a long bed on the next truck for the larger tank. My wife drives the truck a lot, and I thought she might have trouble with the extra length of the crew cab plus the long bed. Now she says a long bed would be fine......:)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I put in one of the Transfer Flow 45 gallon replacement tanks in my CC/SB and really like it. The gauge no longer is accurate, when the low fuel light comes on you still have about 10 gallons. I'm not sure if that is still the case as I put mine in over a year ago, so the new models might be different and I have a Trippin pick-up since I drag raced raced this truck till I retired it last fall. One thing I think is an issue with the replacement tank is it goes around the fuel cooler and probably inhibits the air flow there by reducing the effectiveness of the cooler. I never actually did a controlled test but it seems to me my mileage decreased a little after I installed the tank. Range was greatly increased so I didn't worry about it. I will probably install one of the after market fuel coolers that Mike L and Los Lobos are selling now that I have replaced the engine and transmission with a stock setup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Here is an idea I had based on a decal I saw on a school bus. It said something to the effect that the fuel tank was to be filled at 80%.
Maybe this is what our tanks are supposed to be ran at to allow for "foaming". That would maybe explain why some can get more fuel in their trucks. I fill mine until I can see pure diesel and no foam.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Basically, most larger tanks say only to fill such and such an amount. If you fill it past (and its cold outside) and then pull into a warm garage over night, you will walk in in the morning and find diesel all over your floor. If your parking outside (or at the same temp as when you fill it), shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure what temp this really comes into play at... but here when outside its -40 and inside its 55-65, its a common problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the 26 gallon tank on my shortbed. I have put in 27.5 gallons before; that was filling it all the way up to the top of the fill neck. The fuel light was not on, but I was very close the the "E" on the gauge.

·
Registered
288 Posts
:) Larryroak, You are right on with the 50 gal in bed tank. They are a fortune, but when you are towing long distance not haveing to worry about fuel ALL DAY is, how do they say.....Priceless!! Of course when you do fuel up you have to take out a morgage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.