Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has been cutting out on me when the fuel level is low. It shows a little over 1/8th tank and the low level light is not on, but it is out of fuel...needs a 5 gallon jerrycan and some priming to get going. Then everything is fine. It's really annoying.

My question: Is there a known issue with the tank pickup sucking air or witht he fuel level guage being way off?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Known issue that the sending unit is less than accurate. Most of us that have had the experience never let it get below 1/4 on the needle. If you have the info available on your DIC, it may be a lot more accurate in letting you know when you need fuel. Mine is usually within 1/2 gal of what the pump says on a fill to the neck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, mines all screwy too. Once the gauge stopped at 1/4 tank and didn't go down anymore. I've ran out of fuel at what was supposed to be 1/8 tank. I've also ran it passed 1/8 without problems. Most fuel I've ever put in besides times I ran out was 22 gallons. The gauge also stays at F for almost 1/4 tank, but can be run down passed 1/8. Not sure what the heck it's deal is, but considering I use a little over 1/2 tank a day for work, I just fill up everyday, and keep track of my miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts