Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has most likely been hashed before, but my search came up negative. What are my options for more fuel capacity. I read some where about a 56 gal mid ship tank. I have a '01 / EXT Cab / 8' bed / 4X4 / THX KT

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have the 56 gallon Transfer Flow on our 3500 crew cab 8ft bed dually. LOVE IT! Considering the 70 gallon in-bed tank as well for the long hauls...

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
sprintmod1

If you do not mind me asking what made your mind up to go with them? I am looking at the auxtank for my setup, but would like as much info as possible before I drop a grand on a tool box fuel tank set up.

Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
653 Posts
NoWake200, (sorry, this got kinda long, but you asked)

My biggest problem/dilemma is that I have a fiberglass cap to work around in getting fuel into the auxillary tank. I looked really long and hard and OFTEN at Idle_Chatter's setup but I just could not get past the "exposed" filler and cap on the side of the fiberglass cap. I really wanted to extend my filler to the rear of the truck bed and be able to fuel it at the top of the tailgate by only having to open the cap's rear hatch. It looks like I will be getting a fuel filler from Dmaxallitech that accepts the large fill nozzles and using some hose and pipe to run down the side of the bed and into the auxillary tank.

(1) Spent two weeks trying to work with Transfer Flow (the in bed auxillary tank system only) (Transfer Tank replacement tank has same issue as Supertanks-see #2) on getting a tank and using their cap filler kit; well, I only have 4 3/4" of area to put that system in and they require 6"; asked about modifying it and they took 10 days to "think" about it; they can't/won't manufacture a smaller fill fill neck; and since I told them what I might do if they would not make a smaller neck, they won't sell the tank to me now since they know I was going to "modify" the filling point.
Also, their tank only transfers fuel from the auxillary tank to your trucks main tank; I am not sold on this idea since the fuel returning from the system can then only go into the main tank of the truck whereas the auxtank and RDS system is a 6 way valve and the returning fuel goes into the tank where it came from which I think the the way to go. Also not sure of how well you can keep track of how much fuel is left in the auxillary tank when it is intermittently transferring fuel to the main tank. Auxtank and RDS' systems let your factory fuel gauge monitor how much is in the tank you are taking fuel from.

(2) Supertanks looks like a good set up but I do not really want to move or lose the factory fuel cooler or move the Racor Pre OEM filter that I installed on the frame rail; I know the Racor could be moved, but I do not want to drill holes in the frame to move it forward from Greg's current mounting position; also some concern over all that weight on just the left side of the truck; this tank would have eliminated the filling problem though. Plus if I sell the truck in 2 or 3 years I either have to let the tank go with the truck or put the factory tank back in and take my chances that it will fit the next truck or try to sell it.

(3) Aux Tank; spoke to them at length and they were very, very nice and helpful; told them my idea about fuel filling and said that would work and should have no problems with what I was proposing. Believe it or not but they use the 6 way switching valve that RDS uses and everything I have been able to find indicates that it works and works well. Don't lose the fuel cooler or have to move the Racor; Easy to remove if I need to somewhere down the line; Cost ended up being my issue with their tank as it was about $200 more and the shipping was about doub

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Shucks, glad to help, Sprintmod1. Since you didn't like my chassis-cab filler and OEM plastic cap, I bought a true aero-type aluminum filler cap (the plastic OEM cap had been on there for two years and was getting faded and weather-beaten, anyway!) The real aero-filler on my aux tank goes nicely with my psuedo-aero filler door cover, too!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Idle_Chatter,

You mean I have been struggling with trying to figure out what to do about filling my aux tank you went and did this and didn't even tell me? I always wanted to go through the cap but the TransferFlow was to big and I wanted a smoother/finished look; And I hope I did not offend you with the comment about the exposed filler cap! But I really like this set up, it looks real good in the picture; you have really stepped this project up a notch!

Since I did not get my tank yet and I don't have all the parts yet, where did you get this filler cap and how much was it???? What are the dimensions of that cap, width and how did it fit in with your filler neck on the inside. Few more pics?? Maybe from the inside and with the cap open? Can I order one online or call and order one where you got it? HELP?? I like it!!! (and I am a neat freak!!!)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Got it from BAT (British American Transfer), Inc. in Sarasota, FL

http://www.batinc.net/aero.htm

You can get the full aero cap catalog *.pdf there with dimensions. Not cheap - $129.00. It fit right into my existing filler plumbing - did have to open up the hole in the cap a bit with a dremel and sanding drum and drill three more holes. I've run a separate vent now - 5/8" hose through a marine overfill/turnover valve and a through-the-hull vent mounted in the floor of the bed. Now I'm tempted to get a big mutha "real" aero-cap for my OEM tank to replace the factory filler neck, cap and my fake aero filler door! Don't be yellin' at me - you got me started and cost me (more) money!

Here are the photos you requested.Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
sprintmod1,

Thanks for the details. That is really (not) funny about the TransferFlow company not wanting to sell you a tank. If it makes you feel better that would probably been the most expensive tank you were looking at.

I also did not think shipping would have been that far on price. Are they making your tank to order?

Keep us all posted.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Nice setup, Tom.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Tom, in my opinion, that filler neck kit has really solved that exposed cap problem that I was having with your set up. It looks great and I think that is what I am going to do also. I see that this set up eliminated the need for the fuel filler neck from GM. On my way to that site to check out their offerings. Do you know what part number you ordered? And hey, on spending more $$ on your truck, what are friends for?? And we are helping our economy.

NoWake, RDS is so busy that they are about 10-14 days behind in building orders so that is what the hold up is there. So to save the $$ I will wait the 10 days or so vs. the auxtank. And it looks like the money I am saving on the tank I will be spending on the aero filler!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
sprintmod1 said:
Do you know what part number you ordered?

It's the 2-1/4" model (view M in the catalog). It has a "stepped" hose barb for both 2" and 2-1/4" hose. My fuel hose is 2-1/4", so it fit right up flush. I originally planned to connect to the 2" filler cap on my aux tank, but I didn't like the idea of having a hose clamped to that short, smooth connection with no rollover protection or a more secure coupling. I bought the racing rollover filler plate and mounted it instead, which also gave me a smoother flow path with the 45-degree neck and a bit more "drop" in the nearly horizontal filler run. The hose is wire-inserted aviation fuel hose and connected to a molded 90 degree fuel elbow by a stretch of 2-1/4" aluminum tube. I would have preferred the 3" filler/cap - but did not have enough fiberglass to support it. The 2-1/4" still accepts the "big rig" fuel nozzles.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Tom,

Done! Ordered the last locking one they had in stock. Should be here tomorrow. Turns out that the salesman I spoke to grew up about 20 miles away from me and gave me a small discount which saved me a few $. I love it when a plan comes together!!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Isn't this sight GREAT!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested in getting more information about folks that have taken these auxiliary tanks and ran vegetable oil through them.

I have seen vehicles that run on pure vegetable oil. This is especially interesting to me since fuel costs so much (but is alot cheaper than gas).

Anyone taken one of these setups for running vegetable oil in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the same tank fron RDS that you did, except I went through Northern tool. I talked to RDS to confirm what I was buying. I also bought the install kit from Northern tool, but the quality was lacking, I would get the kit from RDS direct if I was to do it again. Northern Tool outsources it to someone in Tx, and it is pretty generic. I had to do some mods to make it work with the tank. The price with everything was about $800, and the tank is very high quality, it was the install kit that was weak. I have had the aux tank installed for about a year, and it has been great. It works off the OEM gage, filter, and lines. All I do is use the computer to watch the gallons used and know when to fil up. When the fuel gage reads empty there is still about 15G left. When i want to switch between tanks I just hit the switch I put on the dash and it is done.

Al

·
Registered
186 Posts
For what it's worth:

I had an aux tank installed with the solenoid relay that flipped the fuel pick and return lines from the main tank to the aux tank. Worked pretty slick, but did have a fuel pick up problem when the aux tank was low on fuel, which was a bit aggravating.

The real problem came driving west of <st1:City><st1:place>Little Rock</st1:place></st1:City> on a <st1:City><st1:place>Houston</st1:place></st1:City> to <st1:City><st1:place>Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> drive. Was running the aux off first, it got low, I flipped the switch. All's well. Then about a mile down the road, low fuel light. After pulling over found diesel fuel all over the underside of the truck . The return line had flipped to the main tank, but the feed line had not. It was still drawing on the aux tank. That multi-way sealed solenoid failed. The main tank looked like a pregnant cow. I opened the filler and diesel just gushed out. This was on a holiday weekend on Sunday. I had just enough tools/pieces of hoses/etc to bypass and return both fuel lines to the main tank and eliminated the aux tank. Did this along side the road in the dirt and diesel fuel. The place that installed it, said they had never seen one of those solenoids fail. It only takes once, and you will never do it again.

Transfer fuel by gravity or pump to your main tank….only way I’ll ever do it from now on.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
jcummins said:
That multi-way sealed solenoid failed. Transfer fuel by gravity or pump to your main tank….only way I’ll ever do it from now on.

Actually it's a motor-positioned valve- which makes it more reliable and durable than a solenoid valve. Mine's been working fine for 27 months of continuous use. I've never heard of one failing either, but like anything mechanical, it can happen. Sorry to hear about your problem - I wouldn't want to wrestle around under my truck on the roadside with diesel-filled hoses trying to cross patch either. But by the same token, I've had flats and I'm not going to permanently reject air-filled tires!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts