Diesel Place banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I just home home from work and my new tank and the strap hardware kit were waiting for me in the driveway. I just opened the tank and of course, the lock ring and gasket that are explicitly said to be included are not there. Now i gotta call and ***** and get them to send me a lock ring and gasket and it'll probably be a hassle because they will want to return this tank and send out another or something stupid. I'll keep you informed. In the meantime... I'm running out of pans to catch the fuel. I'll probably buy a new can and see if i can pump out the remainder using a transfer pump.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pleasantly surprised that advance auto parts seems to be working to send me the missing lock ring and gasket with no issues. We'll see how it works out

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, after not telling me anything for a couple days, Advance Auto made good by sending me a replacement via next day air.. as good as that sounds.... they sent me another tank. The good news is that the last part of the order, a sending unit showed up today and I was initially disturbed because the box had been badly abused. I quickly got over that when I discovered the intact sending unit along with the missing lock ring and gasket inside. So they sent me another tank as a replacement for the lock ring and gasket that they failed to mention was not included with the tank, but shipped inside the other box with the sending unit. I guess I'm happy, but I hate seeing such disorder and waste. Anyway, I doubt they want the tank back since it will probably cost more to ship it than it's worth at this point. I'm guessing that next day air charge was not less than $105 (full price of the tank). I already asked my buddy if it will fit his dad's truck. Now I just have to figure out the lines.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After checking out all the fittings and hoses and blah blah blah, I think I'm going to go with the Leroy Diesel pre-lift filter setup instead of doing the AN lines. I can delete the tank sock and add the spin on filter before the pump for about the same price. So I'm browsing their site now and I'll probably order it... makes more sense.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Alright, finally had a morning off. Got a late start, because.... I'm lazy. Got the old tank down and out. Had to cut the rear strap bolt because someone had replaced it with a he's had bolt and but that was up in the frame with no way to get to the head of the bolt. I have no words. Anyway, it's a replacement tank and it had a couple small rust spots, and an obvious sent that I'll attribute to the excessive vacuum from the bad fuel cap, but no obvious hole. I started wondering if a fuel line had somehow created a siphon.... but then I found it. The tiniest of holes.. how it released such a torrent of diesel onto the asphalt, I do not know. It was one of the little tack welds that holds the internal pan in place. It had pulled through ever so slightly. I'm guessing the tweaking of the tank from the vacuum didn't help, but it was definitely weakened by corrosion. Anyway, I got the tank out. I cleaned up under the truck a bit. I'll have to do it a bunch of the same and dirt and refill it with clean stuff. I'll probably add the contaminated dirt to my fire pit to burn off the diesel. I'll have to try for another morning to do the install of the tank, lift pump and new lines/ external fuel filter.

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
It also had the wrong tank sock installed.

Great finds
(y)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, yeah, but I would have taken the wrong sock over a leaky tank
I guess same result either way... tank comes down.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,238 Posts
Mine has the bypass valve.
Bought it from Rockauto.com
Although I am pissed at them for sending me a different brand of axles than I ordered (they charge different prices for different brands) and telling me if I didn't want them, I would have to pay return shipping and get no refund of the original shipping. I ended up keeping them. It would have cost me too much to return them. Super crappy customer service that's all email, no phones at all. I couldn't even yell at anyone!
It was the first time I had an issue with them, but what a smug little prick that I had to deal with.
I'll update with my tank purchase decision and pics and all when it gets here and when I get any work done... so... next year?

I like dealing with rockauto but sometime this year on two occasions I ordered acdelco oil filters for my fathers tractor and twice they ended up sending me a offbrand from what I ordered.I ended up keeping the filters anyway but I didn’t get the acdelco filters that I asked for.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts