Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a parts truck near me and I was thinking of grabbing some stuff, including the fuel tank. Is there a quick and easy way to identify what size it is and if the sending unit is compatible with my harness? Mine is a 2000 long bed. The parts truck is a 97 long bed, according to the owner, who doesn't recall the size. Lots of parts already gone, otherwise I'd buy the whole thing... it was garage kept and t-boned in passenger side. Not really a bad hit, but insurance totaled it, apparently.
I searched here for fuel tank id, fuel tank compatibility, etc etc, with no luck. And the FAQ doesn't list it either.
Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
I would guess it's a 26 gal. tank

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Your 2000 should have a 34 gallon tank and the 97 would have the same thing.
They should interchange.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my gauge has the typical gm gremlins and there's a leak somewhere... lines, tank, who knows yet... that plastic belt pan thing makes it tough to track down. I might just buy a new tank and sender and lines and call it a day. I've seen the tank, sender and straps package for just over $200 shipped. Can't beat that.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Yeah, my gauge has the typical gm gremlins and there's a leak somewhere... lines, tank, who knows yet... that plastic belt pan thing makes it tough to track down. I might just buy a new tank and sender and lines and call it a day. I've seen the tank, sender and straps package for just over $200 shipped. Can't beat that.

If you purchase a sender be sure to purchase the correct tank sock( AC/Delco TS1020).
The senders do not come with the correct tank sock

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Already have the ac delco sitting in a box.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just noticed another issue while searching for my parts... how do I figure out the harness code? Is it the code for just the rear harness to the sender? Or is it a full chassis harness code? Is there a tag somewhere?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I am pretty sure that "harness code" would be the 3 letter code for the sender that GM used.
Should be "VPC". That's what my 99 has. Other part #'s 19179535 or FLS1083 or FG01E.
Be sure to get the correct diesel pickup screen or use no screen and an external filter before the LP.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,756 Posts
For fuel info punch in vehicle info here and they have measurements of the tanks

GM22B
GM22B

Comments
Body Type: Standard Cab Pickup; Bed Length: 96.0; 62 in. x 17 in. x 14-1/4 in.; Lock Ring Kit Included; 34 Gallons Tank; Front of Rear Axle

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh nice, that should be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just bought a Dorman 576-341 34 gallon tank. It had GM22B on the box, same as the Spectra and Sherman tanks. Liland Global # is IGM22B. It appears that they are all the same tank made by Liland Global with the pan in tank. Also bought an Acdelco FSU #FLS-1061 and it had the correct diesel tank sock on it. FYI.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Just bought a Dorman 576-341 34 gallon tank. It had GM22B on the box, same as the Spectra and Sherman tanks. Liland Global # is IGM22B. It appears that they are all the same tank made by Liland Global with the pan in tank. Also bought an Acdelco FSU #FLS-1061 and it had the correct diesel tank sock on it. FYI.
Are you sure it was the correct tank sock with the bypass valve?

When I rebuilt my fuel supply system years ago, I purchased the same AC/Delco sender and it did not come with the correct tank sock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine has the bypass valve.
Bought it from Rockauto.com
Although I am pissed at them for sending me a different brand of axles than I ordered (they charge different prices for different brands) and telling me if I didn't want them, I would have to pay return shipping and get no refund of the original shipping. I ended up keeping them. It would have cost me too much to return them. Super crappy customer service that's all email, no phones at all. I couldn't even yell at anyone!
It was the first time I had an issue with them, but what a smug little prick that I had to deal with.
I'll update with my tank purchase decision and pics and all when it gets here and when I get any work done... so... next year?

·
Registered
101 Posts
OkDually.....Yes sir, the sock had the valve on the end just like the one in your pic. The FSU was a NOS unit I found on ebay...maybe that is why it had the correct one on it. Was surprised when I opened the box and looked at it.

Blackmanta....rockauto had a good price on the tank but they wanted $152 for shipping....almost twice the cost of the tank.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah, I just bought the filter "sock" from them when I bought a spare lift pump. I hadn't even checked the tank price with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ended up buying the Dorman from Advance Auto....with their 20% discount and free shipping it was $95 delivered to my door. Best deal I could find on a new tank.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so i ordered a new tank, sending unit, straps and bolt kit from advance auto. With the 20% online discount and a rewards coupon of $10, it cost me $202 shipped to my door. I'm looking into the fuel lines now. I'm thinking of running some nice braided AN lines... anyone already do that? I'm sure it'll be easy enough.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Ok, so i ordered a new tank, sending unit, straps and bolt kit from advance auto. With the 20% online discount and a rewards coupon of $10, it cost me $202 shipped to my door. I'm looking into the fuel lines now. I'm thinking of running some nice braided AN lines... anyone already do that? I'm sure it'll be easy enough.
There is a DIY thread for making your own lines with AN fittings: DIY: - How to make your own stainless braided hoses w/o...

Reactions: legendman

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that. I've made plenty of lines for my VW 4 bangers, there's not much to it. I'll see if I can do you guys proud.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts