Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!,I took my 03 Duramax (stock-48,000 miles) to the dealer for a fuel filter change.The next morning the truck would'nt start.Towed to the dealer,did nothing,he said it started everytime they tried it.A week later,same thing,this time they changed the filter housing and the pigtail,said it set a code,was sucking air.This morning,same thing,won't start,if I shake the truck hard,it'll start, then die in short order.If I hit the gas while it's running it dies.In between these episodes the truck runs great,never had any problems until the fuel filter change.The kid that changed it said it was real dirty in there.Any ideas at all ? All 3 diesel techs at the dealer were on it last week and now its down again,3rd time in as many weeks.Thanks for your help,ELKHOUND

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,I tried the first time it happened and it seemed to be primed.When I opened the bleeder fuel came out and when I pumped it I got fuel right away,still would'nt run.I think I may have something floating around and clogging the system intermittenly.I'm clueless on diesels.This afternoon I went out and shook the truck again and it started right up and stayed running this time.I took it for a short ride and it ran fine.I'll talk to the dealer again tomorrow,I need to find a solution before I get stuck (literally) in the middle of nowhere.I'm in New Mexico.Thank you,ELKHOUND

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
when you prime the system, after closing the bleeder, you are supposed to pump the plunger another 30 times or until it gets hard to push in. This builds pressure on the system, if it starts when doing that, then more than likely you have an air leak in the feed side of the fuel system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I could only pump it a few times after I closed the bleeder.The truck started this morning,ran about a minute,and died again.The last time this happened the dealer replaced the filter housing-said the o rings may have been leaking,that was last week.It all started when my fuel filter was replaced.Could the pump screen be clogged?When I shake the truck violently it starts and then dies again pretty quick,no smoke or weird noises.I'm going to get it to the dealer again today,hopefully the third times the charm.Thanks for the help,ELKHOUND

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Wonder if they messed up the WIF sensor on the bottom of the filter, or the seal for it when they changed the filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Would'nt that set a code? My check engine light has'nt come on.Thank you,ELKHOUND.....edit,I just jumped up and down on the back bumper and it started right up,maybe I can drive it to the dealer this time,(fingers crossed).Thanks again,ELKHOUND

1 - 7 of 7 Posts