Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When your long closure times are setting DTC36 or equivilent or you've broken the armature and you just gotta fix it fast, here's quantum's method for F sol repair, on the engine.

First off, if you to want to pull the cap off the fuel solenoid, you must expose the injector pump by removing the upper and lower intake plenums from the top of the engine.

Then you will require a T10 on a driver and a 1/4" driver to remove the two sets of screws holding the cap on. Pull the black boot back and witha flash light you may see the torx set is recessed and hard to see, the 1/4" set are posts for the power, but must be removed as well.

Once all the hardware is off the cap comes right off with a tap from a screw driver on the outer ridge, you will see the armature inside covering the solenoid, remove it as well for a look see. They will fit between the injector lines with ease.

In my case the IP was a fresh rebuild and the cap, armature and solenoid have minimal wear, but if they were broken, this would be the time to swap them out.

Now, to put it back together and get it right you must put the posts and their plastic pieces on as the were removed ( in my picture the lower piece is missing from the post and the washer for the nut) and tighen them down, then the two torx screws, tighten them all the way to max torque they will take and then back up 'till mostly untorqed and resnug.
This yeilded a 1.86 mS closure time on the first try.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Let me get this straight. Your closure times were high enough to set the DTC and after simply retorquing the solenoid, you achieved a 1.8ms?

Did you notice any difference performance?

I need to disasemble one of my core pumps and have a looksee I guess.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, actually this is a freshly rebuilt 5068. I'm just demonstarting that the fuel solenoid can be repaired on the truck and run again. As far as I know I'm breaking new ground here.

My C-times have been in the 1.76 mS range lately.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thats good info. I have always been under the impression it was an out-of-truck repair as well.

I am also under the impression that the shorter the Ctime, the better.I have seen a reduced ctime when I installed my 14 psi Holly Blue LP.

But excellent info QM...there are a lot of us on here that R&R parts on the DS4 instead of replace the whole pump. I myself have squeezed anothe 20-30k out of a IP from replaceing Optic sensors, etc. So good lookin out. :cool:

·
Registered
374 Posts
QM - I wish you lived closer.

Nice work.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, when I first posted in this forum, touching the optic sensor was considered a hudge no-no. Now it's common to read about a guy trying it to save a few bucks and time on a Ip replacement.

I''d like to think the same could be true of the F sol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts