Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this truck and once in a while I get the strong of fuel or exhaust smell in the cab. Summer or winter with either ac or heat on. If I put it in recirculate I'm able to deal with it but sometimes the windows fog so cant keep doing this. I've been looking online and it seems this is a problem. Truck is bone stock with 120,000 if I would have known this was a problem I would have reconsidered buying it. I've checked the down pipe and the 9th injector and dont see anything. Ant ideas would be greatly appreciated it's hard to use the truck if it makes you sick driving it.

·
Administrator
15,956 Posts
Welcome,

Have you inspected the fuel filter head and lines?

Notice any fuel drips on the ground under the truck?
Any other symptoms like hard starting, etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have checked the filter,filter head, lines, no puddles under or smell of fuel around engine. It only happens occasionally but still quite a bit. It's not in a regen either.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Get some baby powder or talcum powder and dust the area where the smell originates - and don't be stingy. Check the area after you notice the smell and see if you can see the fuel trail in the powder. If not trail, I'm suspecting 9th injector and.or loose exhaust.

Reactions: CntrlCalDmax

·
Registered
317 Posts
Common to have an exhaust leak at the clamp between the down pipe and the catalytic converter, not noticeable that the exhaust comes out but fuel smell from the 9th injector from it spraying during a regeneration. Look from the bottom on the exhaust near the clamp and see if there’s any residue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts