Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with my fuel gauge. As it gets down below 1/2 tank it becomes totally unreliable. The needle randomly moves from E to 3/4 and the fuel low light randomly comes on and off (in concert with the gauge).

I am pretty sure that I need to replace the sending unit for the gauge. I was thinking that since I am about to replace my tank with a 45gal Transferflow - that I'd get the part and have the tank installer fix it while he's in there.

I read someplace that the LB7 fuel sender is restrictive so I want to put an LLY one in. Is there any issue with doing this?

Could someone tell me the proper GM part number for the part(s) I'll need?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Mine died as well............been running by the trip OD for the last few months......

Trippin sells the kits, the LLY's are not compaible that I know of.

I have to pull mine out to see what is wrong.........:(

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would be incompatible do you think?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the new one for sale at thepartsbin - $139.

Dealer quoted me $450.

Part number for the LB7 one is 89060639

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If you had an LLY tank put in the LLY sender might work. You or your installer would have to figure out the lines.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
The physical size of the opening in the tank is different. If your going to an aftermarket tank then you could order one for the LLY and use the LLY sending unit.

The fuel level sensor calibration in EFILive shows the LLY as the inverse of the LB7.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it. I already have my tank and dont need to try to figure out how to reverse the signal. I'll just get the LB7 one and do the mod as per the TTS kit instructions.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now a follow-up question.....

Is there any real difference in the pick up kits offered by TTS, Socal Diesel, or Kennedy?

Best I can tell..they are essentially the same.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
LTChip;1622687; said:

Is there any real difference in the pick up kits offered by TTS, Socal Diesel, or Kennedy?

'Dont know much about the kits themselves, but I can speak for the quality of Guy and Socal diesel.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up ordering the TTS kit as it seems to be more complete providing all the bits you need to make it work.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
TTS conceived of the actual billet fuel pickup and made the first crude prototype on a manual machine. SoCal was given that design, made some necessary refinements and then manufactured them on CNC equipment for both companies. They were sold under the TTS and SoCal name, under a business arrangement TTS was paid a royalty for each one sold.

SoCal then conceived of the LB7 hose and fitting kit installation using Aeroquip fittings and hose.

TTS conceived and developed the LLY/LBZ installation.

A relationship no longer exists between the two companies.

We are just waiting for our current inventory to run out and then SoCal will cease to manufacture/market them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sender

How much is this kit and where do I find it? My sender is also out and would be a good time to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
LTChip;1622687; said:

The Kennedy pickup is a true .625 ID in the throat. BMDMAX has been running a prototype that I cobbled together several years ago. When the TTS Socal one came out, we used it for simplicity. Looking at the design, I decided that we could improve on it. The hose end is simply a duplicate of a -8 push lock. Giant barbs with deep lands in between. Why not fill those lands and make the ID match the ID of the hose? This is what we did. Is it necessary? no Will it help? maybe It was such a simple improvement that it was a no brainer. Having the fuel standpipe a constant .625" (approx) ID just makes sense...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sender got here. Great price and super fast shipping from the aforementioned parts vendor thepartsbin. Can definately vouch for them as a good vendor although they are not a sponsor here.

Once the TTS parts come in, I'll do the mods and turn it all over to the guys who are installing my Transferflow tank. Will update on how it turns out.

I am also planning on using EFI to recalibrate the sender to accurately (or close as I can) show fuel level on my dash gauge. Hope I can do this.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The Original TTS Billet Pickup was designed to use a standard 5/8" push loc hose connection. Making the hose connection larger than the hose was designed for was something we did not know what the long term results were going to be so why not stick within the hose manufactures recommendations. The newer version of the pickup that we've been shipping for quite sometime was changed as we were finally able to source the flex-able pickup tube like the OE part. This makes installation quicker and easier and also puts back in the factory design of the sender being spring loaded to keep it onto the bottom of the tank in different weather conditions. The newer pickup and all its fittings are also anodized to stop any corrosion from occurring. The ID of a -10 bulkhead fitting and a -10 hose end are .485" anything greatly larger doesn't do any good. So when we designed the fittings for the new flex hose we kept everything at .51" , just slightly larger to stop them from being a possible restriction. When testing with a fuel lift pump the restriction at the inlet to the pump was 7" of water with a stock pickup, with the original TTS pickup this was reduced to 1" of water restriction. The newer design reduces it to where the needle does not move off the pin in the test gauge so it's pretty close to zero restriction. The pickup can be purchased by itself or as a complete kit for your application.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.