Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Eric,

I am thinking about installing a coolant heater made by webasto. I currently had my fuel gauge problem scaned and the sending unit has failed. Since I have a cab and Chassis with a welding tool deck. I can cut a opening above the fuel sendng unit in the middle campartment. My question before I do this is "Do I need any special tools to remove the sending unit and disconect the fuel lines ?". My dealer ship is booked for the next two weeks.

Thanks, (8 inches of snow and forcasting -8 degrees F tonight)

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
did the front or rear tank sender fail? what code was stored, was it a p1431? Do you fill the tanks with the engine running? I just worked ona comm chassis truck today with fuel transfer probs.

eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric, I am not sure the code but the mechanic shop said it was the front tank. You may not remeber my queston about the fuel transer pump a month or so ago. Any way I leared the hard way about this time last year about fueling up while running. My transer pump quit twice with the fuel gauge reading 3/4 full at least.( Front tank empty on me even though I knew I should have lots of fuel). So my quess would be that the front sending unit was acting up and will not start transfer pump until the front tank gets under 3/4 full. I ordered a new sendeing unit and it was recieved late today. I was successful in getting access to top of fuel tank (1 sqr ft opening). But that is all until I know how to remove fuel lines from sending unit. I could try to find out what code they were reading. I like to change this my self so I can install the down spout for my coolant heater. Thanks for the reply Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts