Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I ran out of fuel last weekend and screwed up the plastic slot on the stock bleeder screw I picked up a pair (in case I drop one at night and can't find it) of Greg's metal fuel filter bleeder screws - nice stuff.

Can I go out and remove the plastic (stock) screw to replace it with the metal screw without spraying fuel all over the place? Basically, my question is this - is the fuel system under pressure all the time; even when the motor isn't running?

Thanks ahead of time.

Chris in NC

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Should not be a problem, Chris, because the fuel system on the DMAX all the way up to the injection pump on the engine is under VACUUM when running and should have a slight vacuum or no pressure when shut down. The only way you can spray fuel out of the filter vent screw is if you pump the priming pump on the filter head.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you have a stock system, your fuel system is under vacuum while running and when off. You can replace the bleed screw without fear of a flood. You probably will want to bleed any air that gets sucked into the filter. The Psst you hear is air going in and not out. Now, if you have a lift pump like me, you can force fuel out and make a mess. Opening the tank helps some, but does not completely remove the pressure.

Thanks for shopping at Wal-Mart and have a nice day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why plastic and not metal?? Also for the above post what lift pump are you running??

Pilot

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Pilot said:
Why plastic and not metal??

Eric doesn't like the stainless one because the plastic one vents more readily. The stainless ones threaded portion that fits into the filter head has closer tolerances and must be loosened nearly all the way to falling out before fuel will pass it. I have a stainless one and like it. I also have the original plastic one in the glovebox if I lose the stainless one in the engine compartment in the dark on the side of the road.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pilot said:
what lift pump are you running??

Pilot

It is the old pump for the 6.5. I have a bypass going back into a prefilter. If you have seen jbplock's setup, mine is the same. I did make a nice and ugly steel box to go around it to project if from harm. I even put the undercoat stuff on it so you almost don't see it.
Edited by: chuntag95

·
Registered
817 Posts
Okay Bill, you win, that is uglier. My box is going to be the reason I can't go with a larger filter as well. Hope I don't have to leave it off to keep up with the Plocks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, gents... always lots of good info in here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts