Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i installed the ppe pickup and the pump lost prime at just below 1/2 tank :eek:. i added about 3 gal and it pumped out the same before losing again. top of tank to bottom is 14in. the sending unit is 13 7/8in long. i think i cut the hose 10 1/4 between the 90 and pickup in the bottom of the tank. it seems it is losing prime when fuel gets below the top of the cover on the bottom of the unit (the 1/4in or so hole is too small to draw the fuel through). do i need to drill holes in the cover? i need a little help here. thanks guys

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i drilled 5 1/4in holes in the bottom of the basket and it pumped it down to roughly a 1/16 of a tank (computer said 50 mi to go). while it works is there a reason not to do this? will there be a problem to show its head down the road?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Drilling holes in the bottom of the sender is a no no. The check valve in the bottom closes so fuel can only come into the fuel cup and not back out, so by drilling holes your allowing the fuel to go both in and out. On a long bed truck with the bigger tank you can find a long hill with less than 1/4 tank you will most likely run out of fuel. Short bed truck maybe a little lower before having an issue. Flat ground you will be OK. If your running out of fuel losing prime there is something done wrong in your installation of the pickup, as we run them all the way to empty with our kits and have no issues.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yea...lol that makes sense. we do have some pretty good hills around here but the boat ramp could really suck.:eek: huh. i saw your pickup after i bought mine but i really like the factory style pickup tube you use that would have made things alot easier to install. i followed the instructions to a tee. i don't know what the problem could be.:confuzeld:confuzeld

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.