Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finding the fuel per mile get's better as I get more miles on it.Went from 13.2 at 200 miles-now getting 13.8 at 800 miles and it seems to get better the harder I drive it.Wanted to pass this on!! I think it's still going to get better as I put more miles on it.I was taking it easy on it at 1st but started driving it hard & it started to get better the harder I drove it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
By driving it "hard", what do you mean? What do you take the rpms to before shifting? You running stock tires? Is the mpg you calculated for city/hwy, or highway, and is it the DIC or hand calculated? Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By driving it hard I mean,at 1st I stayed around 65-70 mph but today I floored up to 85-90 and the let it drop down to 65 or so.I was on some back roads as well with some nice hills so I put it tow and did pretty much the same as I did on the freeway.Between the freeway and back roads I put on 117 miles and it went from 13.2 to 13.8.Reading it off the DIC.Tires are 245's.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
By driving it hard I mean,at 1st I stayed around 65-70 mph but today I floored up to 85-90 and the let it drop down to 65 or so.I was on some back roads as well with some nice hills so I put it tow and did pretty much the same as I did on the freeway.Between the freeway and back roads I put on 117 miles and it went from 13.2 to 13.8.Reading it off the DIC.Tires are 245's.
Are these numbers from the DIC or did you hand calculate them?

When was the last time you reset the DIC?

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
This is true. The harder you break in a diesel the better it will perform in the long run (20,000+ miles). Even my stroker had the same results... when it wasn't in the shop that is):h

Nov, 11 2005 -- MPG = 12
Feb, 15 2006 -- MPG = 14.5

Driven hard everyday its on the road with 8,000 miles now:ro)

·
Registered
174 Posts
mileage on mine is improving with time, now have 3500 miles on truck dic says 15.4 to 16.2, hand calculated on last trip 15.1, dic is pretty close, but started at 13.2 when truck was new.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
All of us with LLYs found that mileage didn't really get good until 10 to 15k. You'll probably see the same. I was in the 12, 13, 14 range until 10 k, then gradually up to 16 by 15k. Since then I see 17-18 summer and 16-17 winter. All hand calculated at every fillup since new and with a 7% correction factor for the 285s. It only gets better! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea My Lbz Now Has 6000 Mls. Runnen 285 / 75 / R16's And It Seems Mpg. Is Getting Better For Real.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too have seen the mileage increase. Just slightly so far. DIC showed 13.0 MPG with my first tank of gas. Course, I never floored it as I wanted to break it in some first. Now, at 2000 miles, I'm at 14 MPG on the DIC. I'm also mostly driving freeway miles. But I'm doing 75-80 MPH. Knock on wood, no problems with my LBZ. Sorry CrickyDog!

·
Registered
4 Posts
At 5000 miles and stock tires, I am getting 19 @ 65 mph and 20 @ 60 mph @ 75 drops to 16 mph this is straight hwy driving. For stopping and starting and lots of idling, can get to 15. This truck not broken in gets 2 mph better on a whole tank, than the 2004 Dodge. The Dodge was about 2 better on straight hwy, but lost more with stopping and starting than Duramax. I have found the more power you use the more fuel burned. Drive with a 20 MPH tailwind and watch the meter you can add another 3 mpg. Yes the wind works on you fuel budget.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ya, my 05 LLY only got about 14mpg highway up to about 10k miles. Now at 15k its jumped to 18mpg. Not sure why the sudden jump, but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We are just at the 300 mile mark but we are getting 19 to
21 mpg with the easy breakin period. Truck runs great.
I will service her at the 500 mile mark and the 1000 mile
mark then do the regular scheduled maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts