Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing a 7,000 lb tag trailer Seattle to Portland (no mountain passes). Cruise control at 72. Getting 11.9 mpg. Seem about right?

Back and forth to work. Seattle traffic really bad. Average 25 mph. Getting 15.6 mpg. Seem about right?

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ken,

It seems about right, but a lot depends on how YOU drive. Also, on what the trailer is hauling. Wind is your mpg enemy, especially when towing. Try and drop your speed down to 65 next jaunt down 5. It should give you 1-2 more mpg. Try to take the hwy trip with the climate controls OFF. Sounds wierd, but that seems to yield more also. My truck since new average is 17.53 and that is with about 30% towing a 10k tag.

If this is a new to you truck, you need to factor in the winter fuel blend. It drops your mpg 1-2 also.

jb

·
Registered
165 Posts
The diesel formula is a slightly different blend to prevent gelling problems in colder formula, if I understand right. Surprisingly, even here in South Texas my mpg's always seem drop slightly during the winter months. So I guess we get winter blend this far south.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm getting 18mpg driving empty, mostly highway, 15 mpg towing a 2000# trailer highway @ 75-80mph.
Only had the truck for a month now, but it gets 50% better mileage than my Dodge gasser!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got back from Montana last week. I normally run a winter blend this time of year on the highway daily I'm running about 16-18 mpg. I pulled a 27' enclosed snowmobile trailer with my 110 gallon fuel tank in the box and was getting between 8-10 mpg (depending on who was driving and where we were on the road)

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
wickll..where can i get one of the three amigo horse?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can manage 21 mpg empty, 70mph with cruise, and about 14 mpg pulling 6000 lb car hauler. No mtn passes, but some pretty long hills on 81 up thru Pa.

·
Registered
725 Posts
OK, so after reading other replies on this thread it appers to me that I need to do something about my fuel mileage. Towing a 9000lb toy hauler at 75-79mph I only get 8mpg. Am I just simply towing to fast to get decent fuel mileage? I have an AIRAID intake on my truck and I am starting to think that it might have actually hindered my mileage rather than improve it :( . The truck only has about 2000mi on it, just put the intake on a few weeks ago, I had made the same trip with the same trailer about a month prior when the truck was only a week old and I got around 9.5mpg. At that time I figured it was because the truck was still really new and wasnt completely broken in yet. I didnt tow at such a high speed the first go around but shouldnt I be getting over 10mpg with this?

:help:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Been my experiance that mileage drops off dramatically above 70mph, with my best numbers coming when I run around 1800 rpm. Pushing 80 is pretty fast for that much weight, and I would guess you would see big improvement with a more conservative speed. JMO.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm getting 18mpg driving empty, mostly highway
quote]

I mostly drive my truck empty. I get about 17-19 mpg average. thats with the cruise on highways at 58 mph...:eek:
The empty mileage on the highway/mixed commuting is 65-75mph cruising mixed w/ some in town driving.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Been my experiance that mileage drops off dramatically above 70mph, with my best numbers coming when I run around 1800 rpm. Pushing 80 is pretty fast for that much weight, and I would guess you would see big improvement with a more conservative speed. JMO.
Thank you. The reason why I tow that at that speed is the speed limit on that paticular is 75mph towing or not.... I will try and back it down a few mph and try that! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My mileage goes down rather rapidly above 65 mph but I can't drive slower than "the flow of traffic" even when towing, It's beyond my control, I just can't! Someday that may be my downfall.
MAXMSCL, towing at close to 80 mph is going to kill your mileage big time, your lucky to be getting 8 mpg. Winter blend fuel (I see you live in AZ but I think blended is all there is this time of year but I could be wrong) and the fact that your truck is still young isn't helping matters much either. Once you get 10,000 or so miles on the rig and get summer fuel in her you'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with the other guys on this one. The sweet spot for fuel economy is 1800 RPM. Like most guys, I can't drive that speed either!! So I just deal with 11 mpg towing a 8000lb travel trailer and 18 mpg empty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know speed is a big factor. If I could make myself slow down to 60-65 I'm pretty sure there would be another 2 mpg. MAXMSCL, I notice some mileage increase when I got 20K on my rig. Have 40K now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks guys, I will "try" and back it a few notches on the old speedo and see what I can get out of her..... :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Give your truck some break in time it will improve and speed seems to be a factor but not one your always able to work with when highways are 70-75.

Good Luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts