Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the question in another thread, but it's kinda buried down the list. Being my first DMax, I have heard, I know rumors are like a...holes...., that some tuners/chips actually yield noticably better mileage. I realize how hard one is on the go pedal makes a difference, but can anyone confirm or deny that the upgrades available do yeild better mileage?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I have the Banks Kit on my '01 and my mileage went up a tad, maybe 1-1.5 mpg. I think this is mainly because when pulling my 5ver I can stay in O/D longer without the tranny shifting down. Around town I haven't noticed any significant increases other than my right foot feels heavier....):h
JP

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I got an honest 1-1.5mpg increase with my set-up. The key is driving it like you used to drive before the additional power.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
no huge increases IMO but if you drive real nice like Scotty said you may pick up a shade :)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
on the PPE 330 hp tune i get better mileage on the highway. as already said, if you keep your foot out of it you can get better mileage.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense, common thread is how hard you're driving. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
296 Posts
my father in lawws dually went up about 2 mpg and mine went up about 2.5 mpg with powerpup on second setting 80 horse both are '03's

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My mileage with the Edge level 3/5 went up 2.5-3mpg with the cruise set and highway driving.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I've never noticed any increase worth talking about. Lots more power tho!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just added the Edge EZ and on a 350 mile trip on level 1 I got an honest 1.5 to 2 mpg increase. I've kept fuel logs on the truck since new in 2001. Like everyone says it is extremely hard to keep your lead foot out of it though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I added edge ez three weeks ago and i've averaged 1-1.5 mpg increase every week so far on level one. This is hand calculated, computer shows much more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I heard a rumor that the oil companies got together with the manufactures and installed somekind of hi-tech electromagnet under the hood and when the computer detects any kind of performance upgrade,the electromagnet is activated and automatically pulls the throttle down so you can't get better milage and they get richer!Not sure if this is true or not tho'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I heard a rumor that the oil companies got together with the manufactures and installed somekind of hi-tech electromagnet under the hood and when the computer detects any kind of performance upgrade,the electromagnet is activated and automatically pulls the throttle down so you can't get better milage and they get richer!Not sure if this is true or not tho'.
If you aren't joking, then you heard a real line of B.S. Anyone who would believe that must not be running on all cylinders!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, for the $ spent on say a Edge EZ, looks like it'd pay for itself inside of 50k miles. If they're easy miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I posted earlier about edge ez and better mileage. Mine is doing as stated but it also says on the box that this is only for lb7. The more I drive it the more I like it, I should have gotten it sooner.:ro)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My truck with J/A level 2 smoke 5 was getting high 17's low 18's on my 80 round trip commute. When the J/A broke, I drove for 5 weeks stock. Mileage was low 16's on same drive and same driving style. Just installed the new J/A, anxious to see if the mileage goes back up. BTW, I am heavy at 8,300 lbs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I haven't experienced any gain in mileage, in fact, I used to get 16-17 mpg without the juice/attitude; I've tried every setting except for 5 and now can only get 13-14.5 with any of them. I do have to say the power increase is very noticeable though. The first few weeks were spent experimenting with settings just to get the feel with the lead foot syndrome ):h , but I've really been taking it easy trying to get the mileage back lately. I hope the warmer temps that are just around the corner for us help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts