Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Powerstroke extended cab 2 wheel drive with an automatic. I actually just bought it from an 85 year old man that meticuously babied it. It has 135,000 miles and is like a new vehicle. The fuel mileage figures I have seen from everyday driving is 15 to 17 mpg. It has 4.10 gears. Is this about normal? My brother had a 97 that was exactly the same except it had 3.55 gears and it would get up to 24 mpg on the highway. Gear change is not a real option because I pull a race car in a 28 ft enclosed trailer with tools, fuel, etc. Anything I can do to improve everyday mileage?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Your #s sound about right for 4.10s. My 96 PSD with 4.10s and 35 inch tires averaged about 17mpg. My partners 97 with 4.10s and 190k has averaged 17 since day one. I do know some people with 7.3s and 3.55s and they get 20mpg on their best days. Your brother sounds lucky to be getting 24.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i had a 96 two wheel drive with 3.55's and a stick.......no way is he getting 24. I got 21 all the time on the highway, 60 or 80, didn't matter. If his is an automatic.......his math must be bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Brothers truck did have a chip and an aftermarket downpipe. I guess I didn't realize what kind of difference they made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The last time I checked, my '95 Powerstroke got 18.5 MPG, on a trip, pulling a small utility trailer. I have the 4.10 gears, so you won't get the same mileage obviously with the lower gears, but they certainly help when towing on the long steep hills!

Dale

·
Registered
34 Posts
These are about the best #'s ive ever heard of. We had an ag truck, 2001 dually 2 wheel drive that never got over 14, and my ag teache bout a 2002 3/4 ton that he swore got 11 mpg. Both had 4.10 gears both automatic transmission. If they did get 17 to 20 i would own one.

todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts