Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a little over 9,000 miles on my 04 LB7. After about 6k miles the mileage started dropping and dropping fast. I was getting anywhere from 16 mpg to 19 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. It started dropping and finally got to averaging around 14 mpg. I thought the fuel filter might be the problem so I changed it. Ran down the highway last night at 65 - 70 mph with no wind and got 13 mpg.

I am not running any mods and haven't changed the truck any but I did switch oils from Rotella to Delo at about 6k miles.

Any ideas as to why it has worsened so much? The truck still runs great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
are you goin by the dic or doin the math to get your mpg? the Instrement cluster has always be off on mine

·
Banned
394 Posts
on a short wheel base(26 gal tank) i been getting 350 to 380 miles per tank.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been hand calculating and using the DIC and they're usually within 0.1 - 0.2 mpg different. What's worrying me is the drop in mileage. If i never got 16-18mpg it would be no big deal.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Air filter? Plugged filters cause the engine to starve for air. I don't trust the sensor, just pull it and look

·
Registered
679 Posts
My range is bang on with rickles04. I'm averaging about 17 mpg and am always running about 9000 lbs.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Step 1: Remove foot from floor with pedal under it.

Step 2: Watch fuel mileage increase again.

Step 3: Smile that fuel mileage increased.

Step 4: Frown cause you are going so slow now.

Step 5: Say screw it, push pedal to floor, deal with mileage and smile again......

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I notice that my mileage drops off in the winter due to the fuel remix that stations do to prevent gelling, maybe you got a bad batch of fuel. I would also check all of the above.

JP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts