Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its been about 5 weeks since i got it, but im just now getting to the installation. i got the bracket mounted and fuel tank shield bent down, but am havin trouble with disconnecting the OEM lines. I bought a knock-off brand of ac/fuel line removers from auto-zone but its not very clear on how to use these things, or how they work. Do i have to have the sears brand line removers or will this set work? i thought i would gather some info and re-start again tomarrow. thanks

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I know not all QD tools are the same. there is one very similar to the lisle tool, but it does not extend far enough inward to actually disconnect the fitting. if the tool is the correct one, all you need to do is insert the tool into the female connect and push it in until it stops. the outer ring of the tool should not bottom out inside the tool (it shouldn't contact the front of the female fitting). it should get close, but not touch it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok then, thats the problem...... i've got it all the way in (till it touches flange) and tried pulling it out and it wont budge.... i'll try to get one from sears. thanks DP..........

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thing DieselPower, what size is the OEM fuel lines.....? thanks

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
1/2"

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did the same thing. I bought some fittings from Discount Auto that claimed to work. After a few (hundred) frustrating trys gave up and got the ones from Sears. Had the line off in 2 mins after trying with the Lisle Fittings.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Lisle tools work great! My line came off easily. Push tool on the fitting, and pull the line off. The Lisle brand tools can be found at many auto parts stores, Sears, online, etc. Bought mine at Pep Boys. The right tool makes the job very easy, the wrong tool makes it impossible! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought a set of snap-on tools years back for my 95 Camaro fuel lines. I figured the same tool would work on the Duramax for this install, not a chance. I pulled on the lines with the old tool and it would not budge. Went to Pep Boys and bought the Lisle and the ends are twice as long as the snap-on (also a ton cheaper!). Bingo, lines came right off. OEM's always trying to get you to buy more specialty tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts