Diesel Place banner

Fuel issues help

Question: 
2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  OkDually 
#1 ·
Ok. 6.5 project.
Replaced lift pump, filters, injectors etc. All good up to the bleeder. Clean flow with no air. Problem. No fuel to the injectors. Rear four injector line cracked open. Nothing. Lots of cranking but nothing.
I need a little help understanding how the injector pump works. Tips on troubleshooting etc.

Truck project specs in my profile.

#2 · (Edited)
Go through all of your grounds using the link in the FAQ for reference.
Remove each one, clean and reinstall.

Try another "Known Working" PMD w/resistor installed.
Also try both PMD's on the OEM harness on the IP to rule out a bad extension harness.

#3 ·
What was the donor vehicle?
Have you dealt with the factory security system?

#4 ·
Going through the grounds. The PMD and extension were good before the swap. No security system.
Any place to jump a direct ground for testing?

#6 ·
#5 ·
Exactly how does the injector pump run/work?

#7 ·
#8 ·
All good stuff. Grounded the PCM with a wire from ground to the heat sink. Looks like this may have helped. Getting a little fuel drip at the injectors. Battery needs charging so I’ll try again tomorrow.

#10 ·
Take your batteries down to the local auto parts store and ask the staff to Individually Load Test them.
If one or both fail, replace them both as a matched set.

If you need to open injector lines only open the #1 line to lessen the amount of air you are introducing into the fuel system.

#9 ·
How did you deal with security?

#11 ·
Most people don't realize how fast a diesel needs to spin over to crank. If you are starting to see fuel, tighten all the lines up and spin it over as fast as it will go. You say battery. Hope you mean batteries. I'd even put some jumper cables on it for a little extra ump.

Reactions: 56pan
#12 ·
Used the procedure you sent to deal with security. I definitely need two new battery’s.

#13 ·
Making progress. She’s firing on one or two cylinders pretty regularly. Hoping it’s just still got air that needs to push out.

On another note. There are two diodes in the fuse box under hood. Which way do the arrows point and what are they for?

#14 ·
Update: two deep cycle batteries got her spinning fast and she finally runs!!!

Reactions: JMJNet and 56pan
#15 ·
That's good news.
Thanks for giving us an update

:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.