Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electric fuel pump for my 6.2L 1985 Chevy M1028 is shot. i have pulled it out and am trying to find a new one for the truck the original fuel pump modle # is as follows DB2829 4267 J. I have contacted a few places and they are telling me that they do not have the exact modle number or that its 690$. I have also been told that other applications will work. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to go or what I should be paying for one it would be a great help. Thanks ETHAN

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the forums,

You stated that you need a new electric pump, then gave us the model of an injection pump. From the prices given to you, it also sounds like you are trying to replace the injection pump. Just to clarify, can you give a visual description of the item you are trying to replace? Also, could you explain why you believe it is bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mistake I think then it is the injection pump that I need to replace. I can take a picture of it and e-mail it too you. The Truck is at a shop and I will have access to it on Monday. Do you have an e-mail that I can send a picture to? Also The shop sent out the injector pump had some "test" run on it and it is from this test that they determined the cylinoid (spelling) in the pump is shot. They quoted me 690 to rebuild but I have found new ones for 325. I just dont want to get burrned by a shop. I am new to the area and was stuck using a new shop.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They are definitely talking about the injector pump and they are trying to screw you out of hundreds of dollars either purposefully or because of incompetence.

If it truly is the shutdown solenoid (all it is is an electromagnet) then they could have tested it by putting the engine in the on position, then plugging and unplugging the pink wire on top of the injector pump. If it clicks.. it is good. That's it.

If it does not click.. and assuming it is actually bad, fixing it easily would involve going down to the junkyard, finding any 6.2l diesel injection pump... and swapping the cover of the pump onto the one you had. This is a 10 minute job tops assuming you have access to the IP.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
$690 is a little high, but not too bad actually. You kind of get what you pay for when it comes to injection pump rebuilds... You can probably buy a "rebuilt" IP for $200 or so over the internet but what has been done to it you really can't tell.

Also, an exact match of the numbers is not required. You want a "HD" pump but an exact match isn't necessary.

Now if it is the shutoff solenoid... That's a cheap and easy fix. No need to even pull the IP for that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again guys. I am going to talk to the shop on Monday morning. If there are any questions that that you all can think of to ask them I would appreciate it. Thanks again and I will let you know what I am told. Thanks ETHAN

·
Registered
205 Posts
we sell our reman pumps for $494.50 unless they need a new head and rotor then they are $890.00. if it is a shut-off solenoid spend the money for a new because junk yard parts are not worth the trouble.
Jay

·
Registered
154 Posts
we sell our reman pumps for $494.50 unless they need a new head and rotor then they are $890.00. if it is a shut-off solenoid spend the money for a new because junk yard parts are not worth the trouble.
Jay
And if you sold remanufactured engines, you'd be trying to sell them to anyone who had a broken internal part as well; "because its not worth the trouble" to repair just the part thats broken, even if the rest of it is good.

Don't get me wrong, there are pro's and con's to this, either way you look at it. The shop this guy has taken his truck to has already removed the IP, only to diagnose the problem as solenoid related; this indicates, at least to me, that they are more interested in replacing the whole pump rather than a part thereof- they want to do this for a very simple reason- it puts more money in their pocket. It only takes 20 minutes MAX to replace a solenoid in the IP; it doesn't even require removing the intake; whereas to replace the IP, you are looking at a 6-8 hour job. Therefore, they can bill more hours, and also have a warantee-able part installed. Win-Win for the shop, win-lose for the customer.

No-one has recommended that this gentleman run to the local u-pull-it for the solenoid he may need; there are many suppliers that are willing to sell NEW individual parts for the Stanadyne DB2 series pumps, the gentleman should contact one of them and order the part that needs replacing, rather than replace the whole assembly. Would you rather replace a $45 part, or a $450 part?

Unfortunately, this may be a moot point; the shop already has his truck torn apart, and will likely not put it back together for him without his purchasing an IP through them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And if you sold remanufactured engines, you'd be trying to sell them to anyone who had a broken internal part as well; "because its not worth the trouble" to repair just the part thats broken, even if the rest of it is good.

Don't get me wrong, there are pro's and con's to this, either way you look at it. The shop this guy has taken his truck to has already removed the IP, only to diagnose the problem as solenoid related; this indicates, at least to me, that they are more interested in replacing the whole pump rather than a part thereof- they want to do this for a very simple reason- it puts more money in their pocket. It only takes 20 minutes MAX to replace a solenoid in the IP; it doesn't even require removing the intake; whereas to replace the IP, you are looking at a 6-8 hour job. Therefore, they can bill more hours, and also have a warantee-able part installed. Win-Win for the shop, win-lose for the customer.

No-one has recommended that this gentleman run to the local u-pull-it for the solenoid he may need; there are many suppliers that are willing to sell NEW individual parts for the Stanadyne DB2 series pumps, the gentleman should contact one of them and order the part that needs replacing, rather than replace the whole assembly. Would you rather replace a $45 part, or a $450 part?

Unfortunately, this may be a moot point; the shop already has his truck torn apart, and will likely not put it back together for him without his purchasing an IP through them.
I was trying to give the person an idea of what we sell our reman pumps for.
ethan1028 doesn't state what problem he is having, the shop says the solenoid is bad, is it the shut off or the advance solenoid ? we don't know so from what I have read, to get the best repair I would put a reman pump on which should give him atleast a one year warranty.

if you are paying 6-8 hours labor then you are getting taken this job pays at most 4.5hrs.

and you must have missed the part in nelsonjm's post that said go to junkyard and swap the cover.
Jay

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think he ment a new solenoid, not pump. That is the way I took it anyway.
yes I was referring to the solenoid, but as I re-read all the post to make sure I didn't miss something I noticed that ethan1028 never told us what problem he was having so I gave my suggestion based on no one knows what problem he was having.
Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts