Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with a GM service manager in the area. Very interesting conversation in regards to Factory training/fuel injectors. First line of questioning went as follows. Do you have anyDmax certified techs? Answer. Yes all of my techs are certified. Thers is no factory traing specific to the Dmax it is all part of there core training.Do you have any Allison trained Technicians? Yes, I have one. He is a master certified transmission tech. I have the utmost of confidence in him. Now on to fuel injectors. I asked, How much is the balance test and how much is a complete replacement of all 8. His replie If your truck is only at 20k it won't cost you a penny. (DUH). I asked do you usually replace all 8 or just one. He said if it is justified he has no problem replacing all 8. He said the problem with just replacing one is that a month down the road you will be back with more failures. GM does not approve but he wants the customer to be happy. He also mentioned that it is a scary time for Dmax owners wright now. He mentioned that he and other service managers have been talking about this injector problem off the record. He mentioned that there is a cleaning procedure that is very effective, however GM has not approved it as regular maintenance. He also mentioned that GM is in the process of going with an alltogether new injector.Probally made by someone else..

I personally chose GM because I like the best. I have driven all makes and models and have no problem switching makes and manufactures.I currently own FORD BRONCO,TOYOTA CAMRY and CHEVY SILVERADO. Call me a COMMIE. I don't Care. I bought GM because Dodge trucks are cheap, Fords, well who want's to be part of that ignorant uneducated group of owners. There trucks are noisy and covered with stickers. Eatin Chevys sh*ttin horns, SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR. CHEVY OWNERS ARE THE MOST EDUCATED WELL REFORMED GROUP OF OWNERS OUT THERE. LETS ALL BE REASONABLE AND WORK TOGETHER ON THIS ONE. DON'T LET PRIDE INTERFERE WITH YOUR JUDMENT. EVEN IF CHEVYS HAVE A 1% INJECTOR FAILURE RATE THEY ARE STILL THE BEST TRUCKS. THEY PROVIDE THE SMOOTHEST RIDE AND THE BEST INTERIOR. THEY ARE THE QUIETEST MOST POWERFUL, COMFORTABLE TRUCKS AVAILABLE. PROUD TO BE A CHEVY OWNER!! ( Just want that damn injector dilema solved) ON EDIT. GM price for 8 injector R.R. 5343.79 that's not pesos boy's.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Bronco said:
I personally chose GM because I like the best. I have driven all makes and models and have no problem switching makes and manufactures.I currently own FORD BRONCO,TOYOTA CAMRY and CHEVY SILVERADO. Call me a COMMIE. I don't Care. I bought GM because Dodge trucks are cheap, Fords, well who want's to be part of that ignorant uneducated group of owners. There trucks are noisy and covered with stickers. Eatin Chevys sh*ttin horns, SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR. CHEVY OWNERS ARE THE MOST EDUCATED WELL REFORMED GROUP OF OWNERS OUT THERE. LETS ALL BE REASONABLE AND WORK TOGETHER ON THIS ONE. DON'T LET PRIDE INTERFERE WITH YOUR JUDMENT. EVEN IF CHEVYS HAVE A 1% INJECTOR FAILURE RATE THEY ARE STILL THE BEST TRUCKS. THEY PROVIDE THE SMOOTHEST RIDE AND THE BEST INTERIOR. THEY ARE THE QUIETEST MOST POWERFUL, COMFORTABLE TRUCKS AVAILABLE. PROUD TO BE A CHEVY OWNER!! ( Just want that damn injector dilema solved) ON EDIT. GM price for 8 injector R.R. 5343.79 that's not pesos boy's.

EASY THERE KILLER WITH THE FORD OWNER STATEMENT!!!!

Just because your pissed off about your Broncos getting spanked and now a injector problem, calling Ford Truck owners "ignorant and uneducated" is not going to make up for your current situation. Now if you ask me, name calling puts you at the level of the "people" you do not like. It takes all types...a drug dealer drop out is driving a $90,000 Benz were the college graduate majoring in Chemistry is driving a Yugo so they can pay off there loans. WHAT YOU DRIVE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR EDUCATION! It is all about the person inside.

10 year Ford Truck owner!!!

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
I AGREE,IF CHEVY WOULD FIX THE INJECTOR PROBLEM IT WOULD BE A GOOD TRUCK---WHAT GOOD IS A 1 INCH CHAIN IF IT HAS A 1/4 LINK IN IT

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had all day to think about what I wrote and I did realize that I used a couple of unnecessary sterotypes. Your are right about the Broncos loosing. They really blew it on Sunday. I have been watching the Broncos play for 25 years and that is the worst Schelacking we have ever takin. As far as stickers on vehicles go, I do get a litlle peeved seeing somebody dis-respect a masterfull creation buy covering it up with stickers. Childish ones at that. You would think the truck it self could say enough about you the driver. Now back on topic. I can not afford to spend 5Grand on a fuel injecter replacemant. I can't believe we as consumers put up with that. If I had known the potential upkeep on a Diesel I might of not bought one. Every salesman you talk to says things like "this truck will last forever" or " You will get a good 200K to 300K out of this truck. My plan has been to treat this truck good, get it paid off and drive a basically free vehicle for another 5 to 10 years. I think 500 dollars for an injector is rediculous. A brand new injector for a Ford Mustang is 30.00. My point is as consumers we should unite. We do not need to be held hostage by the big three. Unless you are a salesman I don't know why you are not for a truck lasting 10 to 15 years. Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Bronco, I agree 110% with your post from football to the injectors!!!

I hate those stickers also(really the peeing sticker!!!)

The injectors issue NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!! I am waiting for my Nicktane filter to show up in the "Brown Truck". But I really do not think we need to take the burden of having to spend money and time to install quality aftermaker filter. They know this is a problem and it should be fixed on all Duramax engines....new injectors and/or filters that work!! New trucks with Duramax engines are in the upper 40grand range...for that price everything should work and work correctly.

I really am at a loss on what to do...suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like I said in another post,Why don't(GM) design or have somebody do it for them a better filter.One down to 2 microns.Problem solved!

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>Not trying to highjack this thread but, if G.M. were to go to A different type injector than their now using, the price of the injector for the LB7 would never come down, in fact it would most likely go up because of not being used anymore in production.</DIV>
<DIV>I hope they just redisine the same injector they have.</DIV>

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense to the makers of aftermarket filters, but I am not sure this is the solution to all injector problems. These things seem to be leaking from the inside out. Filters help the tips stay clean and intact. There is a new filter unit out called the F.A.S.S. It was released at the S.E.M.A. show. It is a unit that filters the fuel and seperates the air from the fuel they are claining a 45 H.P. increase. The unit has it's own fuel pump. It is pretty technical. The funny thing is it only comes with a 10 Micron filter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
NoWake200,

I'm at a loss concerning my truck also. I haven't had any injector problems, but I'm still concerned. I'm not overly optimistc that GM is going to have these injectors redesigned. I have already been stuck with a poor injection system, among other things, once by GM on our 96 Suburban w/ 5.7L Vortec engine. Instead of redesigning the problem components they just expect you to keep having it fixed. They have done the same thing with the brakes on the 96' Suburban. Everyone complains about them, but no fix or hint of a problem from GM. I could go on, but I'll spare you the details.

When I pay $40K+ for a vehicle I also expect everthing to work and work right. The reality is there is a problem and GM should fix it for all of us that own an LB7. I shouldn't have to spend money on additional filtration to possibly fix issues that should have been taken care of during the testing process. I know that some of you will post back that I should just drive the truck and be happy. Well... thats all fine and dandy, but I've been burned by GM vehicles once to many times. Hopefully, I won't have injector problems. If I do I'll take a loss and dump the truck. Either way it will not be in my garage past 100K miles. I have to admit that over the years I have had some brand loyalty to GM. That has come to an end.

·
Registered
514 Posts
westcoaster said:
Like I said in another post,Why don't(GM) design or have somebody do it for them a better filter.One down to 2 microns.Problem solved!

If one were to make a 2 micron filter that had the same external dimensions as the current filter, everyone would be SCREAMING about the 2,000 mile fuel filter change interval. The CAT 749 is big and the Baldwin from Kennedy is HUGE. Finer filtration requires significantly more surface area on the media itself. The can of our OEM is huge compared to the actual filter media inside it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I hear one more cry baby whine about injectors!
Look, Go with a pre-filter setup and a little fuel treatment and drive. I had a guy painting my house last week and he drives a Dmax. My first question to him was..how often do you change your fuel filter..response-about every 40,000 miles cause it gets that muddy rusty stuff in the bottom. OK. Any problems? Not one.

This guy still has the original Allison spin-on, diff fluid etc. I think that this injector deal is like getting struck by lightning...except 1-in 10,000. The 1-in-10,000 that we hear about are either un-lucky as hell or sucked off the bottom of the local diesel filling station.

I think GM should come out and tell us how many trucks have had injectors replaced. It would obviously be a low percentage and remove the concerns a new buyer would have.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smokeymax,

Let's me and you sign a contract. Terms as follows. You give me 5400.00 for injector replacement today. Over the next 6 years and 150k I can use any or all of this money on injectors. If I don't have any problems I will give you 15% A.P.R.. That's better than your 401K. Sound like a deal?

The reason I keep bringing the injector topic up is because I want something done about it. There are alot of registered users on this site and there are 5 times as many onlookers. The power of the interenet can not be underated. We finally have an ACE up our sleeve. It is up to us whether we use it or not?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Smokeymax,

I knew that there had to be someone out there that would post an answer like yours. Being the first... you get a gold star on your permanent record.

As for your painter friend... What do you say about someone that doesn't maintain their vehicle properly? I'd say he is either an idiot or has a lot of money to burn. He may never have a problem with his vehicle, but IMHO he is an idiot.

I agree with you that GM does need to do something about the issue, and it is an issue. Bronco is right. The power of the internet cannot be overlooked. It brought Toyota to it's knees regarding an "oil sludge" problem they encountered with a design change on their V6 engine. Toyota had first tried to blame it on owners. Their tune changed after internet posts started to catch up to them. Why not GM?

My service advisor told me they hadn't encounted a failure in the 500+ Dmaxes they've sold. He is a good guy, but I'm not sure if he is just touting the party line. GM needs to step up to the plate on this.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Since I have a 2003, I guess I don't need to worry about injector prices til 2008.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At a 3% average annual inflation rate that would put you at 6100.00 U.S. dollars. Let's hope with positive customer interaction the price comes down and not up. Or you could always sell your truck at around 90K. That is every salesman dream. Is the day of the long lasting diesel over?

Before we get to carried away, does anyone have any hard data? Somebody mentioned a release that stated from GM they only expect 100K from the injectors. Where can this release be found? Does any one know how many trucks have been sold? How many injector failures? The only data I have is this website. There are approx. 2200 registered users and I can recall no less that 11 real life injector problems mentioned on this site. That would put us at a .5% failure rate or 1 in every 200.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK, here is another way to look at it...1500 1/2 ton with a 5.3 expect a comfortable 150,000 miles with no power and that ticking noise- Get a F150 and watch the trans go at 75,000 miles-get a F250 Powerstroke and drive it gentle if you want it to last (after a few turbo replacements)-Dodge Cummins...nah thats a "I can't make up my mind truck"- or go for the 8.1 liter and pay the $5,000 or $6,000 you could pay for injectors on extra fuel.

No truck is perfect but I think the Dmax is pretty close. Just say a prayer to the dilluted crankcase gods before you go to sleep at night.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I take out my 15-40w and replace it with #2 then will I really have a problem anymore?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My last post just gave me an idea for a bogus T.S.B. I will start writing it now. I will post it late today or tomorrow.;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
All this "talk" while real or perceived is really going to hurt re-sale values.......on trade or sale, the buyer says "let's knock off $5K from the value because you have 90K now and those injectors are gonna have to be replaced soon."

Let's hope this all passes before those days approach us. Bad Reputation can really damage a vehicle's value, let's try to keep all this in perspective. Some trucks have had injector problems, the cause of which has not been determined yet. Right now unless you are one of the unlucky ones, it is not an epidemic and seem to be isolated cases here and there. We really don't know and we are not going to find out unless a lawyer can pry the info out of GM. Too early in the process for that action yet I think. It may be coming especially if GM keeps ignoring the problem. Best case is GM should get the cost of the injectors down for those out of warranty. $100 per injector sounds logical to me after 100K. $500 per injector is rediculous especially since they are selling so many trucks and so many injectors, the price has to come down eventually.

Anyway, let's not get paranoid over the injectors especially if you are still in warranty. Those out of warranty or about to go out of warranty have every right to be paranoid and mad as hell!

I've got an '01 suppose to be the worse of the bunch, but I tell you the truck is great, but again only 35K easy miles, probably only 10K towing.

I try to use good fuel, additives from time to time (FFFP), but not every tank and I added the Nictane about 3K ago........we will see in due course.

Good Luck and deepest condolances to those who have suffered an injector replacement outside warranty. You bear the scars for all of us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts