Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one tell if there is diesel fuel in the crankcase oil? I did the papertowel test, which leads me to believe I might have a problem. I would like to get a definitive answer. Is there something I can ask the dealer to check? Will an oil analysis show anything?

I just got back from a 3800mi trip, changed the oil, the oil appears very runny/thin, black (of course), has the usual used oil smell, no hint of diesel that I can smell, and the kicker is, I only got 8qts out! I put 10qts in 3 weeks ago when I filled it. This bothers me greatly. I have never noticed it using oil before. It's not leaking it since I keep it in the garage. This is on a '02 w/ 35K miles.

Tim

·
Registered
192 Posts
What is the paper towel test you are refering too? What is it supposed to tell you?
If there is diesel in the crank case you should be able to tell by smelling it.
Was the oil warm/hot when you drained it? Any oil will be thin and real runny when warm/hot.
Had an old IH tractor once that had a bad habbit of the fuel pump dumping diesel in the crankcase. To the point of it running out! Happened twice on us.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The oil in diesel engines will get thin once it gets hot. It will also get very dark almost black after it has been in the case. I would think you have nothing to worry about...now if there is more oil in the crank case than you put in then you might have a problem.

Used diesel oil is very dirty.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am aware used diesel oil is very dirty, thanks.

The papertowel test is putting a drop of oil on a papertowel and watch the dissipation to see if it separates out with the diesel fuel spreading out faster than the engine oil does. I kind of see that (I think) which is why I am concerned. I am equally as concerned with the fact that my engine seems to have burned 2qts of oil in 3800miles! Every oil change I have done before (10 changes by now), I always get 10qts out except this time. What gives?

The oil was luke-warm, not hot. The consistency of the oil seems different than every time I have changed it before, it seems much thinner, maybe I am imagining it, dunno... I have always used the same oil.

I am concerned because I know the injector and/or return lines can leak (the reason for the LLY redesign if I recall), and I am wondering if I am starting to see this problem in its early stages perhaps? Is there any way to know if this is happening w/o pulling the valve covers off? Is there a definitive test (e.g. AVLube oil analysis) that will tell if there is diesel fuel in the oil or not?

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Take your oil sample to your local Cat dealer. Should be Darr or Holt tractor for you or send to Mustang Tractor in H town. They all have oil labs. Should be about 10 bucks and they will do what they call a flash test for diesel fuel in your oil.
Scott

·
Registered
157 Posts
If diesel was leaking into the crankcase, there would be more than 10 quarts not less right?

·
Registered
398 Posts
sixfoot said:
If diesel was leaking into the crankcase, there would be more than 10 quarts not less right?

That would seem logical, I've never had any trouble yet, only 10,000 miles but if I do I think I'll just run her tell the rods fall out, then let G.M. worry about it.

I'll do my part to keep the oil changed, fuel filter and trans fluid and filter, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go.

Some of the posts I read here make me sick that I bought A diesel truck. Edited by: John R

·
Registered
192 Posts
John R said:
Some of the posts I read here make me sick that I bought A diesel truck.

John R, don't worry too much. We have 4 of them now here on the farm. Mine, a (2002) with 60,000 miles and a 2003 with 30,000 miles (1200 hrs), no engine trouble at all. And we do treat them pretty rough but they do get serviced good. They idle a lot and mine pulls HEAVY loads a lot.
Then we also just got 2 brand new ones. Both ext cabs long beds 4x4.
One is getting a service bed and the other one is getting tool boxes welded in the bed. Both will be irrigation system service trucks. (they really get abused!)

FWIW: I was at the dealer last Thursday getting the latest software put in the ECM/TCM and the tech guy told me he hasn't seen much in the way of problems with the later ones. Early 2001 models had some problems but they are all taken care of. Edited by: dutch

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott,

Thanks, I'll take some of my oil up to Holt's tomorrow and see what they think.

As for only 8qts in the crankcase, now that's scary! I wonder what happened to the other 2qts? :-(

Tim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
luvthesmellofdiesel said:
How does one tell if there is diesel fuel in the crankcase oil? I did the papertowel test, which leads me to believe I might have a problem. I would like to get a definitive answer. Is there something I can ask the dealer to check? Will an oil analysis show anything?

I just got back from a 3800mi trip, changed the oil, the oil appears very runny/thin, black (of course), has the usual used oil smell, no hint of diesel that I can smell, and the kicker is, I only got 8qts out! I put 10qts in 3 weeks ago when I filled it. This bothers me greatly. I have never noticed it using oil before. It's not leaking it since I keep it in the garage. This is on a '02 w/ 35K miles.

Tim

What year truck and over all miles .... I would say NO oil in the crankcase with lose of capacity ....

Mac

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If you are really worried about go to the dealer and let them tell you what you either want or don't want to hear. The dealer is there for that reason...but I am sure you know that.

Trying to fix it online is not going to work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The CAT SOS program does not alert for fuel dilution of less than 4%. I would suggest capturing a sample and sending it to a full lab such as www.avlube.com.
The fuel level is reported to the .1% level, which it may well be if it is only one injector. Moreover, it is nice to walk into a dealer with proof positive that diesel fuel is present in the oil and concentration level.
George Morrison

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
George,

Thanks, I'll get hold of AVlube then since I never made it up to Holt today anyway. Yes, I am with you, if there's diesel present, I will then take it to the dealer with proof-positive in my hand. Otherwise, I'll not worry about it and keep the dealer out of it. The dealer is always the last resort as far as I am concerned...

Thanks,
Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts