Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a Shell Co. Rep a few minutes ago and learned that Shell Premium CETANE rating is 44-45. Sounds very low to me. Anybody else on here checked the CETANE rating in there area. This same rep says thier regular diesel CETANE rating is 40-41.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is true: 90% of the diesel fuel being sold around the country is in the 40 to 45 cetane number range. If one is lucky enough to be in the Ohio area BP Diesel Supreme is the hands down cetane winner with 50+ along with its water crystal clear appearance..
Which is why I have a 1,000 gallon tank filled with BP Diesel Supreme. which is then filtered down to 1 micron and additized with Primrose 405.. :)
To date I have not seen any fuel approach the quality of BP Diesel Supreme of Ohio...
George Morrison
Edited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
290 Posts
It must be nice to be able to get a descent fuel quality. To bad I would have to fill up at several unworthy stations
on the way to OH to get just one tank of good diesel. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
On the two fuel test that George did for me the cetane #s were 48.50 & 48.57. Both samples were Sinclair. Later! Frank

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, I have never, ever bought any diesel fuel in my life. I just picked up my baby from the dealer last night and it had a full tank. I am so afraid that I will forget and put in gasoline at a fill up. I suppose I will have to be extreamly careful not put gas in it.

I never knew there was a regular and premium grade diesel fuel.

What does the premium grade diesel do for proformance over the regular grade. I thought a diesel engine was just a workhorse that used a blah grade fuel for general lugging type work.

I suppose youse guys are telling me something.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Chevron's website has some good reading on diesel fuels - here is a link to page on premium diesel. Look hereEdited by: dmax lover

1 - 7 of 7 Posts