Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started my truck last night and started fine, went around the block to warm it up and once i got on the highway i couldnt go anywhere.
If i keep the throttle at 1/4 or less im fine but once i give it any more than that the motor starts to cut out and almost dies. This is the first tank i have had problems with but with the cold a** weather im not suprised. I had very little additive left but i didnt think i would need more than what i put in it.
I know i need to change the filter but i dont have to drain the tank also do i? I hope not i just filled it up the other day!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had the same problem today. It would go into limp mode (low fuel press). I changed my fuel filter and added more anti-gel and it runs good now. Power Service makes a product for gelled fuel (in the red bottle), but it can be hard on modern fuel system. It's better than being stuck somewhere, but I would't use it unless necessary. The fuel will thaw if you can wait for the temp to go up or get the truck in a warm garage.

Jay

·
Registered
180 Posts
Exact same here..Changed filter (which was overdue) and she was all better

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
StrokerSmoker24;1571366; said:
started my truck last night and started fine, went around the block to warm it up and once i got on the highway i couldnt go anywhere.
If i keep the throttle at 1/4 or less im fine but once i give it any more than that the motor starts to cut out and almost dies. This is the first tank i have had problems with but with the cold a** weather im not suprised. I had very little additive left but i didnt think i would need more than what i put in it.
I know i need to change the filter but i dont have to drain the tank also do i? I hope not i just filled it up the other day!
No--you don't have to drain your tank,gelled fuel only reacts badly in the filter.Howes for me in every tank,every fillup,all year long--for 33 years--never gelled yet. Have seen -20 and that'scold enough for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just want to say thanks for the info. I just got home and had my 16x7.5 enclosed trailer behind me and am having the same issue, which sucks when trying to pull something too. It did the same thing this morning so I ran and got Power Service and added half a 32oz bottle(which should treat 100 gal.) and it seemed to get a lot better, however I went to my inlaws and it sat all day and now on the drive home it happened again. I just logged on to find out if anyone could help and here you guys are talking about it. I'll have to pick up a filter in the morning. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The few times I have experienced fuel gelling then I have put in some GM auto trans fluid or the Power Service supplement to take care of it. I always carry some of both just in case when I am in very cold weather. I do have a fuel filter heater so that part has never been a problem except for a couple of times that I forgot to turn it on!!!! Turned the heater on and the problem disappeared. Winterized #2 has usually been good for me even in very cold weather. Some people may have a problem when they fill up in the south where they may not have winterized fuel and then go up north into cold weather.

You could also try using your wife's 1500 watt hair dryer to warm up your filter to melt the wax if you don't have a built-in heater. Or put a trouble light on the filter overnight. You know the old story about skinning a cat!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI-
Where do you get a fuel filter heater? This is the second time my fuel has gelled. Thought I put enough anti-gel in. The last time the dealer put a new fuel filter in. Do I need to change it again and is it hard? I have worked on engines before, but I am new to diesel.

I have 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing here. Temps are about -10 done it twice the last two days. Been running Power Service 8oz per tank. Maybe not enough? Filter has about 2k on it. She's at the dealership now, will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Im havin the same problems...its really cold out...when is started this morning the weather channel said it was -21 out....without the windchill...and the way to school the truck was running ok...but could tell the fuel was gelly or slushy

kyle

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
chips4sle;1573674; said:
HI-
Where do you get a fuel filter heater? This is the second time my fuel has gelled. Thought I put enough anti-gel in. The last time the dealer put a new fuel filter in. Do I need to change it again and is it hard? I have worked on engines before, but I am new to diesel.

I have 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD.
When you buy a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD! Yes,it's already on your ride.Putting more anti-gel in when it's real cold is smart-won't hurt anything.Yes to another filter change and it's not difficult--just do the search here on the how-to section.I change mine from the top so the most important thing for ease of changeout is to get something{5 gal. bucket works good} to stand on.Good luck.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Use one of those stick on pad heaters. I'm going to put one on an old filter can that I cut open so I can just slide the can over the new filter, with the heat pad already attached. A couple of hose clamps should hold it on. If I can find the websites that I found on the heaters, I'll post them for you guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got it back from the dealer and it was the filter. Put a new one on and all is fine. Best part was NO CHARGE!!!! I've got a good dealer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What Stealer do you use cuz mine sucks?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cokato Motors. Bought quite a few from there always been good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts