Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

Just recently my fuel gauge started reading empty with the low fuel light on rwith a full tank. I dont see this happen any other time except right after it is topped off.

After about 15 seconds it returns to normal

Is this something that you have come across?

Joe

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
nothing that rings a bell, are you filling with truck running? Dual tanks? Gauge will take along time to respond until the key is cycled

Eric

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric it's not a cycling thing. It registers correctly but every so often it pins it's self at empty and then after several seconds returns to normal. I have only noticed it when the tank has been filled. When it is below that level I have not notice it.

Not that I enjoy it but I'll bring it in to the dealer this week.

Joe

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
"Topping it off" may be the cause. The tank is designed so with normal filling without topping it off, an air void at top of tank of about one gallon allows for expansion. Is your Malfunction Indicator Lamp going on? DTC P0463 is listed in 2002 Helms, page 8-681. This is set when ignition is on, and fuel level signal is > 98% for >20 seconds. With this DTC set, the fuel gauge defaults to empty, and the low fuel indicator illuminates. This DTC becomes history when the conditions that set the code no longer exist. This DTC clears from history after 40 malfunction free startups.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I GET THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 99 6.0 2500, IT HAPPENS MORE WHEN THE TANK IS FULL, SOMETIMES GAGE GOES TO EMPTY LIGHT COMES ON BUT IF YOU ROCK TRUCK SIDE TO SIDE GAGE RETURNS TO CORRECT LEVEL

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Same thing happens on my 2000 and my dad's as well. They told me I needed a new fuel sender. Since it only does it when almost full I just set the trip odometer and ignore it. If the fuel pump ever goes out then I will do them both at once. Unless I manage to afford a duramax before that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the Fuel sending switch in the tank. Done deal!

Thanks all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts