Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004.5 LLY in a dual rear dump w/dual fuel tanks. I have the DIC control and I filled my tanks today and the guage reads empty and the fuel trip says --- for the range. Anyone seen this before? Thanks DP

·
Registered
105 Posts
its possible your fuel sending unit is going out or it coud be as simple as a fuse or relay be sure and check those tings out befor throwing parts at it that can get exspensive :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Add fuel!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I don't have any experience with dual/aux tanks, but others have written about problems with the gauge reading zero when the aux tank continually feeds into the main tank. As I understand it, the truck computer has a sanity check and sees that you've driven some number of miles without using any fuel since the main tank stays full. That can't be, so it decides there's something wrong and sets the gauge to empty.

One solution would be to close the line when you're driving, and let the aux fill the main tank when you're sitting. Or maybe you wait until the main tank gets low, open the aux, know that the gauge might say empty at some point, then close the aux later.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
45 gallons in there speed pronut

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sometimes when you have lots of fuel in the tank-- from extra tank draining into the main tank or Aero big tank like mine, the gauge will go to empty and the fuel light will come on. I believe that it is caused by the contacts in the sending unit grounding when it is really full. After you use some fuel, the gauge will go lower and will read the proper fuel level. Mine has only done this 4 times this year. I doubt that changing the sending unit will correct the problem. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fuel Guage off

I never let my gauge go under 1/4 if I can help it. I know I only have a 26 gallon tank, but I have never put more than 17 gallons in it. I should think with almost 10 gallons left it should show more than 1/4.

Any ideas? Do you think the cluster might be messing up?

·
Diesel Tuner
2,571 Posts
It could also be the cluster, but the cluster usually has problems in spurts that come and go and sending units usually don't go out completely, but may have some bad spots on the contact strip unless the needle broke off and no contact at all is being made. Mine ended up being the cluster, but haven't had it replaced yet. Seems to be working fine for the last several months.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
mine does that when it over fills from aux tank in the bed, I have a manual valve and sometimes it bounces going down the road, I just shut the valve and a couple miles later the gauge starts working again

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the help. Its done a couple of times before and I always thoughpht it was the programmer I have (Hypertech) So i would bring it back to stock settings and then it would be fine. But havent had it programmed in awhile so i no its not that. Hopefully a couple of miles will correct it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine did this a month ago. Wife drove for 2 hours with the aux tank draining into the main tank and it was full when she left. Basically after a couple of hours of the truck running with tank full, the computer says, PROBLEM, and shuts down the fuel gauge. The gauge goes to empty, the warning light comes on and the range is empty.

On my truck once the aux tank fill was shut off and she drove for a while it started working again. I believe she stopped the truck once in there as well, so a key start may be needed.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sometimes when you have lots of fuel in the tank-- from extra tank draining into the main tank or Aero big tank like mine, the gauge will go to empty and the fuel light will come on. I believe that it is caused by the contacts in the sending unit grounding when it is really full. After you use some fuel, the gauge will go lower and will read the proper fuel level. Mine has only done this 4 times this year. I doubt that changing the sending unit will correct the problem. :(
My '02 (no aux tank) would do the same, every tank. Fill it up, needle goes to empty, low fuel light on, use 1-2 gal, then it goes back to full and works normally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine has that problem now. It actually started just reading incorrectly. I would fill it and it would just continue to move the needle past full and on around. It actually ended up past the E. Waiting for something else to go wrong before I take it to the dealer. Want to fix as much as I can with my 100 deductible!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
what about that whole issue with the stepper motor going out on some of the gauges? My speedo went out like that...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
vince yours could be a cluster issue and should be covered

·
Registered
510 Posts
When my light comes on, I still have around 15 gallons left. Lol 56 gal tank reads all funky. But in all my Chevy trucks that I've owned, its accurate down till 1/4 tank then it falls off VERY fast. Not accurate at all. I've been stranded more than once cause it reads 1/4 left then in 3-5 miles its almost all gone! I've had 3 whole new dash clusters put in 2 different trucks for this issue all under warranty. It works for about 20K then the issue comes back again. Just know you truck and how far you can go towing and just regular driving.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
FWIW, I don't have aux tanks and my fuel gauge decided today it would stay on empty. Even after a key cycle it stayed on empty. The light doesn't go on and the range (miles to empty) still says well over 100 (more like 1/4 tank for mine).

My speedo has been flakey for a year, with the stepper motor sometimes pegged, or reading high. Then it works again so this repair drops to the bottom of my to-do list. I have 7 new stepper motors waiting to be installed, just need the time to do it.

I'm sure the fuel gauge will come back to life tomorrow, if only for a little while.

It's all just to annoy us I guess. :Insane:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.