Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it appears the fuel gauge on my '84 6.2L Diesel has quit... I reached up under the dash last night and felt the light/lead plug loose in the socket, when I pressed it in the light came on and the gauge began working... then the plug fell out and I tried to reinstall it, the gauge no longer works (although the light does). The lead on the plug looks like it should be sticking out more, it looks sort of worn down or broken off a bit, and the plug's retaining mechanism is worn off also, so it won't stay in the socket.... HELP, what can I do? Does anyone sell replacement lead/plug ends? or do I go to the boneyard?

Thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Never seen one that lose, I would guess bone yard. I would imagine GM would want you to buy the whole harness.

It's been a long time since I have been into mine, don't know for sure If I am thinking of the right plug or not. How hard would it be to bypass it, and hard wire it. Solder them together, then you know it is not a problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traveler said:
Never seen one that lose, I would guess bone yard. I would imagine GM would want you to buy the whole harness.

It's been a long time since I have been into mine, don't know for sure If I am thinking of the right plug or not. How hard would it be to bypass it, and hard wire it. Solder them together, then you know it is not a problem.

I don't think I can hardwire it, the little lead pokes into the socket on the gauge and makes contact with something else... Hmmm, boneyard here I come!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd post a short follow up:

I fixed my fuel gauge problem... I went to the boneyard and picked up the lead and plug that goes to the gauge... my lead was NOT broken, it appears to be a short plastic wrapped fiberoptic wire, just needed a new plug to secure it in the hole in the back of the gauge. For anyone else's benefit, it really helps to see the gauges taken out (in the b-yard) and see how they fit. Well, now on to something else (lots to fix in this old truck). Thanks to everyone for your help, see you next time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a follow up, I wanted to let anyone else who has a similar problem know that after I took off my instrument cluster and got to the backside of the fuel gauge I found that the metal connectors on the back of the gauge were loose and there was an old light bulb had fallen in the back of the gauge housing... took out said old bulb, readjusted the metal connectors and Voila, works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts