Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gauge is finally bothering me enough that I am going to post the problem, so here it is. When I am stopped for an extended period of time, like when I am at a really long light or waiting in the drive thru, the fuel gauge needle will just suddenly fall to the empty peg and the low fuel light will come on. But if I move forward a couple inches it goes back to normal.:confused: :confused: Otherwise it works fine and reads acurately but I just want to make sure a problem is not on the way that might strand me later when I run out of gas when it still says I have some. I had an 88' Silverado that did this to me! It turned out on that truck that the baffle in the tank came loose and bounced around a while before it took out the fuel sending unit. Later on it ended up taking out the fuel pump too leaving me high and dry :help: (had to replace tank and everything in it!). Thanks a ton guys!

Chad

·
Registered
940 Posts
mine does the same exact thing.. it annoys me when the low fuel light keeps coming on. My guess is a bad ground, but I havent had time to look at it yet

·
Registered
338 Posts
IIRC it's a problem with the contacts on the sender, the chevron with techron will help to clean up the contacts to make it work properly.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Bad Fuel Level Sensor See It All The Time

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Sending unit, might as well do it now before the fuel pump take a dump.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking it might be the sending unit. Damn, thats a lot of work to get to it too. :(

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was thinking it might be the sending unit. Damn, thats a lot of work to get to it too. :(
Probably not all that bad. IIRC you can loosen the bed bolts enough to tilt the bed and gain access to the tank.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
How many buddies do you have?? 8 bed bolts, 2 screws/one push clip for filler neck, couple elect connections for the lights, and one person at each corner to lift the bed and put it in the grass. Easy access..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe, i live in an apartment complex so free area is at a minimum. I do have a garage so maybe some day I will have to get the bed bolts out, call over some friends, move the bed to the area in front of the garage and put it on some carpet or blankets, then go from there. ANyone have experience replacing one and how much time is involved?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't Take Long. Just Move The Bed Back And Set It On The Tires And The Bumper Shouldn't Take More Than An Hour Or So

·
Registered
89 Posts
had the same problem on my 6.0. It was the fuel pump and sending unit assembly. Removing the gas tank is pretty easy you can disconnect the fuel lines in front of the tank, a couple of clippy thingys, then only two bolts on the tank straps. took about 45 min. by myself. Helps to let the tank run down a bunch so it's lighter, part was $400 when I did it, hope it's cheaper for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Level Sensor...not uncommon on any GM product. Almost as bad as a lower intake gasket. If miles are high...I would go after the whole module rather than just the level sensor. Just my .02.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, miles are almost at 75000. I figured I would go through and do a bunch of stuff when I get back from a trade show I am going to for work. I should have my taxes back by then so I can go through and replaced the plugs, wires, fuel sending unit, intake... should be enough to keep me busy for a while!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts