Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on my 03' dmax the fuel gauge when it gets to around 50 miles left on the computer it starts miss reading. It usually goes to 35 miles left and then the fuel light comes on but here recently it has been getting to the mile or 1/8th tank position and cuts out completely and wont read then it reads 200 miles left and the next second 80 miles. These are just made up numbers but seems to be everytime now. Is this a common problem? If so cant find a thread on it so I thought I would start one. Maybe the fuel is acting as the conductor in the plug for the guage or something. I have exhausted all options on this so what do you guys think? Thanks for you time and God Bless.

Michael:D

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The level with 50 miles left is probably about what, 3 - 4 gallons? As the fuel sloshes around at that low level it's trying to calculate how much is left. I have never seen mine go from 50 miles left to 200 miles when it's that low, but then again, I've haven't paid much attention to the DIC when it gets that low.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
In my humble opinion, you shouldn't let a diesel truck's fuel tank get that low. At certain times, (severe temperature extremes between night and day), water (condensation) can form inside the fuel tank. The more fuel you keep in the tank, the less condensation can form.

I always fill my tank when it gets to around half empty.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I agree on the filling of the tank but sometimes its just makes since on long trips to run them down. I understand all the talk about trash in the tank and getting low on fuel and picking it up. But it has to be a electrical problem. I honestly think that here soon it is going to tell me I have 100 miles left and I will run out of fuel. I really sont want that to happen since I have avoided any injector issue thus far. I really want to know who else has had the problem and maybe we can come to a agreement onthe cause. Thanks for all the feedback though and keep it coming. God Bless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My instrument problems started with my fuel and then progressed to the speedometer - - - requiring a gage cluster (all) replacement by the dealer (covered under warranty). If you find that this is your problem and ultimately need the dealer to replace the gages, make sure that they put the correct hours and miles on your hour meter and odometer.

Good Luck

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well seeing as my 2003 with 95k on it I really think it will be a none warrenty Item so I would have to foot the bill. I am imagining how much money it would be. I am thinking around 4 figures. I think if thats the case then I will just deal with it. Thanks for your imput.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts